Chapter 23

Date: 25/5/2020

AN: Another chapter! 

__________________________________________________________________

As had become their routine by now, Arthit was preparing to go to work while Kongpob was setting up his laptop at the dining table after finishing their breakfast. Kongpob approached Arthit to say goodbye when the doorbell rang. A visitor at this time was unexpected, in fact at any time was unexpected since the two young men had preferred to keep it to themselves. Whatever small errands had to be done were managed by P'Chati as Arthit and Kongpob mostly laid low without drawing much attention to themselves.

Arthit frowned questioningly even as he went to open the front door. The sight of the classily dressed woman on the other side of the door startled Arthit, so much so that he stood stunned and forgot his basic manners. It was clear that Arthit had not really expected the Suthiluck matriarch to visit them in person but more importantly, he had not believed that Kongpob's stance would pay off. Of course, it was yet to see if any of the younger man's claims would be accepted but at least they had forced Mrs. Suthiluck to make the trip to Chiang Mai.

"Aren't you going to invite me in, Mr. Rojanapat?" Arthit was startled out of his stupor and scrambled aside, Waiing and inviting the woman in. Kongpob had come up behind him and he too offered a Waii to his grandma.

"Nana, please come in. Would you like something to drink?" The woman waved off her grandson's hospitality as she settled herself in a chair.

Arthit came forward, "Mrs. Suthiluck, it is good to see you again. I..I am,,I was about to.."

Kongpob, sensing the uncertainty in Arthit's voice, stepped in, "Yeah, Nana, P'Arthit was just about to leave for work. Phii, you go on ahead.."

"No, it's okay. I would like both of you to be present here if that's not too inconvenient." The calm tone of the matriarch sent chills up Arthit's spine and even though the words seemed like a request he knew this was definitely an order. He nodded and moved to place the bag down and sat down awkwardly on the small divan that served as bed as well.

The tense atmosphere was broken when P'Chati came in with a tray of tea of small refreshments, which he placed on the table before offering a Wai to the woman.

"Thank you Chati, it's good to see you. My assistant is downstairs, why don't you coordinate with her and see that I get to fly out by late-afternoon?"

"Kharp Madam," the security chief said and left the apartment. It was a clear indication that he should not come back until he is called upon.

When the front door closed, Mrs. Suthiluck poured herself a cup of tea, "Kongpob, N'Arthit please have a seat. Help yourself. Settle down so we can discuss the key points and I can be on my way. I would like to be home by this evening."

Kongpob and Arthit exchanged glances but did as was instructed. Minutes passed by in silence, where probably none of them knew where to start.

It was Kongpob who spoke first, "Nana, I am happy to see you. I didn't think.."

"Of course. You have successfully dragged me here, so you should be happy. You have won the first round."

Arthit too felt nervousness building at the words. He wanted to protest, trying to explain that they had no intention of undermining her authority or humiliate her in any way. He wanted to say so many things but he couldn't find the right words.

"Nana, it's not about winning or losing, you know that."

The Suthiluck matriarch swallowed the tea and sighed. "I know Kongpob. You think this is the time to make your stand, and it may as well be, I have no idea. I had given at least a year before we reached this point. I had hoped that by that time, N'Arthit too would have established some strong footing and would be confident enough to stand by you."