Chapter Nine☑️

CHAPTER NINE:
SWIFT AND TERRIBLE SWORD

Renata was the last one to get on the jet

Renata was the last one to get on the jet. Her feet moved slowly but at least her headache wasn't as prominent as earlier.

She sat down away from the rest of the team and closed her eyes as scattered memories clouded her mind.

She didn't remember much about her time in the Hydra facilities and she liked it that way.

But she could remember most of the experiments and the pain she went through for almost ten years.
She could remember the first time their experiments worked and she accidentally froze a glass of water.

She knew that she was part of something called Project Medusa and she believed that she was meant to be a Soldier for Hydra. A mindless weapon to control like the man with the metal arm she had seen a couple of times guarding higher level Hydra Agents who came to check up on the Project.

She also knew that she wasn't the only one. They were others. She was Experiment 3 , E3 for short.
For the longest time that was what the doctors called her , that was her name. But when her powers started to grow , they quickly came up with the code name River.
She had to give it to them , it was quite fitting.

She didn't like talking about her past and the people closest to her knew not to ask. Even Fury, after a while, gave up. Renata and Project Medusa were two of Shield's most well kept secrets after all.

But now she was getting pulled into the life of the Avengers. She could may as well kiss the normal-ish life she had goodbye.

A soft trembling breath left her lips as she reminded herself that she was doing this for Clint and Natasha.
Her family.

She opened her eyes only to see Steve holding a bottle of water with a small smile.

"You should drink it. Clint said it'll help."

Renata tenderly raised her arm and took the bottle from the Captain before unscrewing the cap and taking a long sip. Almost immediately she felt her lingering headache disappear and she felt ice crawl the lengths of her arms.

Steve and Renata watched entranced as the ice started from her fingertips and quickly reached her elbows , her shoulders and then it spread on her chest and her neck before stopping. It created intrigue designs on her suit and on the exposed skin on her neck but the cold made her feel safe.
It was as if the almost white ice was illuminating on top of her dark blue suit like a lightning would illuminate the night  sky when it struck.

"Ultron knows we're coming.Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire, and that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace, and that's not going to happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done, and find out what's Ultron been building. We find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we are monsters and we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right." Steve spoke as he looked around his team.