Chapter 7: The Humphreys Return

Chloe:

"Do you think Grandma and Grandpa will like me, Mommy?" Lisabeth asks from the back seat as I'm driving to the airport. I glance at her through the rear view mirror to see her already looking at me. I smile at her warmly, "Of course sweety. Lydia and Ryan are very sweet people."

She smiled excitedly at that and started swinging her legs. I couldn't help chuckling, myself as my mind ran back on when we told them. Lydia was so mad at Christian; she even tried convincing me to leave him for while.

They're both excited to meet their granddaughter, though. I stop in the parking lot and there they were. They both seemed very anxious and were carrying a large giftbag each. Lisabeth pointed to them curiously, "Is that them, mommy?"

"Yes, hun." I answered immediately. I honk the horn and stuck my head out the window. "Lydia! Ryan! Over here!" I call and they snapped their heads to me.

The couple glided toward us and got in  after throwing their luggage in the trunk. "You're a heaven sent, Chloe. I can't believe none of my children saw it fit to pick up their own mother." Lydia complained as she got in the passenger seat.

I chuckled, "I'm so sorry, Lydia. Rachel is ,well, sore and Chris is working late."

She only huffed and then turned her eyes to the rearview mirror. "Is this her?" Her words reminded me of the first time we met and I couldn't help but let out a chuckle.

"Yes." I replied, "I'm assuming those giftbags are for her. Please wait until we get home to give her those." Both her and her husband smile sheepishly and then I started the car with a short laugh.

~~~~~💍~~~~~

"This is so cute!" Lisabeth squeals while squishing the stuffed unicorn to her chest. I shake my head with a smile. These people are going to spoil her.

"Lydia, you guys brought too much stuff." I sigh heavily. Besides the stuffed toy, they brought an assortment of English candies, about three new racks of clothes and a cellphone which Chris and I wanted to get her for her birthday but oh well.

Lydia waved me off with a huff, "Nonesense, this child deserves so much more than just this. If it's anything this is just the tip of the iceberg."

Ryan chuckled and I couldn't help the grateful smile that spread across my cheeks. His wife then gave him a look and he instantly scooped Lisabeth up onto his hip. "Hows about we go check out that new playroom your daddy installed for you." he suggested and the two walked away from us.

I rolled my eyes remembering my shock when we came home from the shopping trip just to find that a whole new room had been created with pink walls and everything bought was neatly packed inside. Lisabeth stayed in there all day. She didn't even want to come out for dinner.

The moment Ryan and Lisabeth left, Lydia turned her attention to me. The look on her face told me she was about to pry into my private life. "Now Chloe. I Know something happened between you and your mother. The whole world saw it. I want you to talk to me," she days in a motherly tone.

My eyes pooled  almost instantly and a heavy sigh left my chest, "Everything is so messed up, Lydia. Everything."

I told her everything from the DNA test to dad showing up on my doorstep and not once did she interrupt. She listened diligently until I was done and then she went into deep thought. By the time I had finished the story, I myself was in tears. Damn pregnancy hormones.

"It seems to me that your mother has important things to tell you but she wants this man, this Ronnie to be there as well," she finally mumbles, " She had no right to keep this kind of information from you. This has only managed to create chaos. I mean look at Lisabeth. She's a lovely kid but she spent most of her life believing this man was her father and then a test proves that she's my son's."