Chapter 16: Dread

Chloe:

The feeling of impending doom is looming above me. The trial resumes in the next two hours and my doctor's appointment is in fifteen minutes. It so happened that two very important events clashed on the same day. I haven't even told Chris that Monique found out about my pregnancy. Rachel got so desperate that she paid the bitch to keep her mouth shut.

Somehow, I didn't think that would be enough; Monique seems like a very spiteful person. I don't know but I have a gut wrenching feeling that a storm is coming. A storm that was long overdue.

"You alright, baby?" my husband whispers close to my ear. I turn my attention to him, his crystal blue eyes holding a deep concern for me. I sighed and just gave him a small smile which he knew was a sign of my mind going into overdrive. He huffed an exasperated sighed and kissed the top of my head lovingly.

"Don't keep things from me, Chloe. I wanna help but you must tell me," his pleading voice begged. My heart squeezed at his tone and a guilty feeling washed over me. What is wrong with me? Why am I like this with him?

"Mrs. Humphrey!" Casey  called and we took our cue to enter the doctor's office. Casey looked genuinely happy to see us and her bright smile was super contagious. "Where is Lisabeth today?" she asks almost disappointed.

"My mother has already taken her to school." Christian answered politely and the doctor just nods in understanding.

"Well, here are your vitamins for the second trimester and this is your ultrasound pictures from your last visit. You guys left in such a hurry that you forgot to take it with you." She handed both items to me and a pool immediately began to form in my eyes. This baby, this innocent child is in the middle of all this chaos.

"Thank you, doctor," Christian replied assessing my state. I only nodded with a small smile and then we were on our way to the court. Christian didn't try to make conversation with me while we left through the hospital doors, but we were in for the biggest surprise. A light flashed in my face, the moment I stepped outside.

My eyes widen as I took in the amount of paparazzi surround us as my ear picked up the curse my husband let out. He was definitely not expecting this, either. We knew exactly why they were here. The dread made home in my stomach as I thought of the world knowing our secret; the one we couldn't keep away from the press too long.

Monique's name is written all over this. I gritted my teeth as the reporters started throwing their questions, Christian grabbed my waist and pushed passed them to our car. Just as he got me to the passenger side, I looked out the window, assessing the crowd and my eyes caught sight of Ronald. His lips twitched while his dark eyes looked as if they were reaching into mine to grab my soul. Why is he here? Just as the thought passes through my head, a reporter blocked my view of him and the next thing I know, he disappears.

~~~~~💍~~~~~

I gulped, my eyes wide on Mike who's been smirking at me for pass ten minutes as I sit on the witness stand. Chris tried to get the judge to let him stay by my side but it ended up with him being escorted outside the room for ten minutes. When he comes back in, my questioning will start.

Lillian Dawn sat, looking like a Lion ready to pounce. She seems to be so confident in proving me wrong. If that has anything to do with Darla's death or me being with Chris then she's attacking the wrong person. Mike may not have killed her but he had a hand to play. The manipulative asshole would do anything to get his way. Why he wanted me is beyond my logic and why he did the tings to get me is even beyond my understanding. All I know is that we're here now and I'll make sure no one gets hurt by him again.

My husband barges through the double court doors, fury running through his stood out veins. He marched right up to the unimpressed judge and scowled. "I will not sit down and watch these people intimidate my wife and do nothing about it," he said through gritted teeth, "So I am going to stand right beside her or else I will make your life and that of your family a living hell."