Chapter 40

Another fake smile, a distracted introduction, and another brief conversation. Azumi felt as if she was on auto-drive, her body moving and her mouth speaking as if it had a mind of its own. She spoke with a couple, and left when they seemed satisfied enough with the conversation. She smiled, she shook hands, she bowed, she praised a boy for reaching adulthood, and then she moved on.

Jae-ha from across the room was becoming increasingly concerned as he watched her. The spark in her eyes was gone as she acted on auto-pilot, the manners drilled into her head acting as her defence mechanism as her mind mentally crumbled in on itself. Jae-ha knew that look well. He knew when she was about to have a breakdown and she was on the verge of one at that very moment. He also knew he couldn't just run over to her safety at that moment, not for something so simple, so he watched with tensed shoulders and keen eyes as she floated across the room with a peaceful smile and dead eyes. It did not help that the king was also watching her with a gaze he also recognised, something he had hoped he would never witness when looking at that woman in particular.

The king sat there, exchanging hushed words with his advisor with his chin rested on the palm of his hands and his eyes following Azumi's every movement. He knew her, somehow or other, and he was gazing at her with a longing that Jae-ha did not want to think about. It sent a sick feeling to his stomach, to think someone could think of Azumi in the same way he did. He had talked to Hiro before the young boy disappeared into his duties as an earth guard, and the young boy had confessed that he only admired Azumi. She had saved his life, and he thought the two would be together forever. He wanted her to himself, so how else would he achieve that than marriage? But the boy as he matured realised that that was not what he wanted, and his immature mind had jumped at the first thing it could think of to make her stay.

But the king knew what he wanted, and he wanted Azumi.

"Oi, you're obviously concerned for your mistress. Go over to her," A voice whispered, breaking Jae-ha out of his thoughts. He glanced over to find the bodyguards looking at him with a look of understanding and concern. Quietly, Jae-ha realised that they would have already gone over to their master and he suddenly felt a flush of shame. With a bow to the men, Jae-ha quickly broke from his position and hurried over in as much of a refined manner as he could. Sliding through the crowd, he appeared at Azumi's side mid-conversation. The brunette was smiling distractedly while the noble talked about a recent hunting trip he went on. The words went in one ear and out the other as Azumi politely listened, not that the noble noticed.

Jae-ha walked up to Azumi and placed a hand on her shoulder, not caring in the moment what anyone thought. The sudden touch made Azumi jump and the noble go quiet as Azumi glanced over to Jae-ha with a confused expression.

"Jae-ha?" Azumi sputtered out quietly, looking as if she had just woken up. Jae-ha frowned down at her in worry, before turning to the nobles and quickly apologising. He then grabbed onto Azumi's wrist and tugged slightly on it as he turned and headed out of the ballroom. Azumi followed without a complaint, her mind still bleary from shock and confusion. The only thing centring her at that moment was the feeling of Jae-ha's warm hand wrapped around her wrist as he led her away from the room, the feeling of claustrophobia slowly leaving her as she escaped from the hot and loud room. The entire way, they felt nobles glancing at them, but only one gazed burned into the back of their heads. They tried desperately to ignore the gaze of the king as Jae-ha rushed out of the room and quickly led her to the closest balcony available. As Jae-ha pushed open the doors, the feeling of the cold, bitter air brushed across Azumi's skin and soothed her mind.

Jae-ha let go of her wrist and went quiet, knowing that she needed this moment to herself. If she wanted to speak, then she would, Jae-ha knew that was the way she was. She was as stubborn as a mule, and if she didn't want to confess what was on her mind, then she wouldn't.