Chapter Ten

hello! this story is terribly boring and the plot line is total trash, so I'm going to go with an alternate ending than what I planned to happen. so this book is going to be very short!
__________________________
(Jack's POV)

The steady rhythm of the heart monitor had been the only hopeful sound I had had for a couple of days now. They told me that he might never wake up, that there was only a slim chance he would live. With the scar tissue he had from the suicide attempt as a teenager made his torso a weak spot, and that was where most of the initial impact was. Alex had many bruises and cuts from flying through the windshield of the car, and had also broken an arm from falling onto the concrete. The doctor told me he was very lucky to have not had any injury to his head and even that he didn't die on the spot.

But that was all coming from someone who seemed slightly optimistic about this all. Alex was going to die, and I knew it was only a matter of time. A "slim chance" was truly slim, almost nothing. He was depending on the machines and medicine more and more every day, and one day they would be the only thing keeping him alive.

"Mr. Barakat?" The doctor said as I snapped out of my daze. "Yeah, what?" I said tiredly. "I think it is best if you go home and get some rest. Alex is fine, but we'll call you if anything happens." The doctor said sympathetically. "Alex isn't fine, he's dying. He's dying and it's my fault." I mumbled as I got up to walk out the door. "I'll be back soon. Take care, Alex." I smiled at his practically lifeless body.

I hadn't slept or showered for a couple days, and I had barely eaten. I could barely drive myself home without crashing the car, not that I would've minded dying at this point. I don't know why but Alex and I together was always this problematic, dangerous thing. I know he didn't really love me. I know he just wanted to think he loved me as a distraction in his insane mind. He had built up an alternate world almost, pretended that I hated him and that he loved me and that he was king of the whole damn world. But his favorite thing to do was to tell himself that everything was okay again. He walked through the wasteland his life had become and he looked around at the ruins and smiled, because deep down, Alex was a psychopath. He was mentally insane and slowly beginning to live in his own head. And so maybe I didn't love him either, I just felt it my responsibility to keep him sane.

I got home and began making a frozen pizza, and grabbed a beer out of the fridge as well. I suppose I should've eaten something better than pizza, and I shouldn't mix beer in there. But hell, I don't think made one completely right decision since I met Alex. I had straight up chugged half the can already and sat down on one of the chairs at the kitchen table.

After half of a pizza and two beers, I decided to take a nap on the couch, seeing as a shower when you're slightly tipsy isn't a good choice. I pulled about a million blankets over me until I was cocooned in, and fell asleep.

(Alex's POV)

I had now walked into my house, but the only people here were Jack and I. The only people in the entire city, or maybe even world. But this was my head, so I guess I liked the quiet. The weirdest thing is that Jack, real Jack, would say things and I could hear them in my pretend head. I could hear people talking but it all just sounded like voices in my head.

"There has to be a way to wake up right? To solve the puzzle? If I'm inside my own head, then I can get out. There has to be a way." I asked as Jack and I walked back out of my house. "There's always a way. But that's just what I have to say, because you imagined me as the optimistic side of your brain. I represent the part of you that wants to keep living. There is a part that wants to give up and die, but you haven't imagined meeting them yet, which is a good sign you'll live." Jack replied as he stared up at the sky and around at the empty streets of Baltimore. "So to live, I just have to keep following you? Okay, then how do I get out?" I assumed he knew the answer. "I can't tell you until you hear what the other side of you has to say." He simply stated as we turned the corner. "I'm not going to die, I won't choose death."
__________________________
I like writing in Alex's coma thingy, it's fun. But this fic is gonna be ending quite soon, so stay tuned.