Chapter 3: Grim Complications

"Mom, some guy is here for you."

Rebecca Sayger walked to the front door to see a man dressed in black with pale and lifeless skin.

"You've got some nerve showing back up" She said at the sight of him.

"I need to talk to you about your son" The man said.

"I told you I wanted to keep him out of all this" Rebecca said. "I gave up my status as a sargi to give him the opportunity for a better life. I don't want him to get dragged into an endless race war."

The man scowled at her. "He was dragged into it the second he became best friends with Travis Welk's son! Those two boys are going to fall into the same tragedy as their fathers!"

"Well considering that the falling out there was over some girl I doubt that will be a problem with Jeffery" She said returning the scowl.

"You know that you have always been more than 'some girl'" He said as his expression softened. After a moment he added, "Wait why wouldn't they fight over a girl?"

"Jeffery is Asexual Aromantic" Rebecca said. "He came out to me months ago. I just mentioned how ironic it was that he always says 'aces' only to be an ace."

"A-" The man stopped what he was about to say. "That's great but there is still a more pressing matter."

"It better be good if you just show up out of the blue on his 16th birthday, Peter."

"Jeffrey is my son" Peter added. "I would have been around if you were not so adaman-" He stopped in an effort to keep himself from saying the wrong thing. "I do believe that we made a grim mistake."

"Did you just call my son a mistake" Rebecca asked, her face getting red.

"No not like that" Peter said trying to explain himself. "Me being his father was a mistake."

"Well good thing you have not been around then" She retorted.

"Jeffrey is the new grim reaper" Peter blurted out frustrated.

Rebecca stared in disbelief. "He died?"

"No" Peter said. "That's the problem..."

"A shift in the natural balance" She whispered to herself... "So that means...."

"Once Jeffrey's power awakens at three this afternoon the seal that has held for over two thousand years will be broken" Peter explained. "I only became aware of this a few hours ago when I woke up with a vision of Jeffrey fighting against Lucifer. Despite my best efforts over the years I have done little to cripple his networks."

"What about the Efaz empire" Rebecca asked. "Any luck there?"

"I may be immune to the influence of the crown but they have a stranglehold on some of the most important people who can make my life very difficult. Those tyrants are Lucifer's greatest Ally and he has made sure that their empire remains dependant on him..."

"So what do you plan to do" she asked.

"First I need to get Jeffery to Zalkar's school of magic" Peter explained. "He has a lot of magful history to catch up on and I don't want his power to awaken anywhere near Welk or his son. You know what that bigot will do if he gets his hands on a magful."

"I am aware of how Travis has only become more extreme in his ideologies" She said. "Do it."

"You were easily the best sargi of our generation" Peter said. "You should come with us- maybe even recharge your power..."

"I know of a nearby ley line to recharge from" Rebecca said, "But I am not going anywhere."

"Why?"

"Because Travis Welk will make our son a priority and I need to get whatever information from him that I can before he suspects we may be in contact" she explained. "I knew that maintaining a friendship with Travis would prove useful someday..."

"Just be careful...."