Chapter 21: Fragments of Power

Jeffrey and Harvey made their way to the center of the mountain following the directions the werewolves gave them for navigating the labyrinth of tunnels. Jeffrey's mother decided to stay behind and watch over Tanya as she underwent her transformation. When they reached the central cavern that housed the remains of the spire they saw that there was someone there already waiting for them.

"Took you long enough" Lucifer said as he turned around to face them. "I was wondering how long it would be until you found your way here."

Jeffrey and Harvey could tell that they were no match for Lucifer but when they turned around a wall had blocked off their path. They turned back to Lucifer to see him holding his pitchfork in his hand.

"Making my way here was easy as control over the earth made navigating these tunnels childs play- I just dug a straight line to the center."

"What do you want" Jeffrey asked.

"You" Lucifer said, his eyes flashed red for a brief second. "I have waited so long to rid the world of the biggest threat to my power but thanks to that goody-goody Jesus I was trapped in my domain for two thousand years. I knew that the reapers were the key to my release so I couldn't let them die out- luckily there's other ways to keep them off my back."

"Like framing one of them for the entire holocaust of world war two" Jeffrey said through gritted teeth.

"You're the second reaper to figure that out" Lucifer said, somewhat impressed. "I have to wonder if killing you will be easier than it was to kill the Grim Sage."

"The Grim Sage" Jeffrey asked, confused.

"Your mentor's mentor" Lucifer explained. "Normally the Grim Sage is around until the apprentice reaper learns the ropes and their student takes their place."

"So that's what happened to him" Harvey said with realization. "You killed him!"

"And I never took the credit for it" Lucifer explained. "Leaving the fate of such a powerful figure a mystery sowed more chaos than I could have dreamed. Breaking the spirit of Peter and ruining his relationship with the two closest to him was icing on the cake. I never imagined Peter would actually believe he was responsible- It was perfect. Totally worth giving up the jewel back then- it was the most fun I'd had in eons!

"One wish ruined the strongest forces against me- reducing their power in this world to mere fragments. World War Two may have been a bust but the genocide of the dragons- that was a good palate cleanser. I knew the elves were eager to eradicate the dragons in the same way as the werewolves so I nudged that along. I barely had to do anything- the Efazs were so eager for the blood of "beings with such unstable DNA" as they put it. Once again such fun- and then a twist I never saw coming! Daniel and Emilia Frink came to me begging for a contract!" Lucifer looked right into Harvey's eyes with a sense of twisted pride.

"They.... They did what?!"

"How else could you explain the elves suddenly stopping their genocide with just you and your brother remaining. They made a contract to save the two of you from the elves and in exchange I was to have a dragon as my minion. Your parents thought that the contract meant them but why would I settle for them when there was two dragons who were so much younger and full of potential! Your brother's black caliber seemed to be perfect but now that I look upon you I see that I should not have been so quick to claim him.... To think I was so close to a rainbow caliber......"

Harvey immediately jumped down to Lucifer, a pair of wings sprouting on his back to sped him along, and punched him in the face. Lucifer didn't even move an inch as the punch seemed to have had no effect. Lucifer smiled maliciously as he knocked Harvey back with a flick of his arm. Jeffrey ran to Harvey as Lucifer hit him mid air with a rock and having him land next to Harvey.

"You two are pathetic" Lucifer said with a sneer. "I have to wonder where your little friend is..." He leaned in close to Harvey's face. "I would love to have you watch me kill it."

Harvey tried to get back up and attack Lucifer for his comment but he crumbled back down under his own weight.

"Don't you dare talk about her like that" Harvey growled, his eyes full of a passionate anger.

"You have it bad for that thing don't-"

Lucifer was knocked to the ground as Jeffrey got a good kick at Lucifer's shin.

"He said to not talk about her like that" Jeffrey asserted.

Lucifer raised his pitchfork, getting bored with them, as he readied a finishing blow.

"If you think yourself so high and mighty then take me on yourself" Tanya declared.

Lucifer turned around to see her standing in one of the entrances to the cavern, her wings on her back flared out in confidence as they glistened like a rainbow. Jeffrey saw that her, now pink, eyes had that same look of defiance in them as the day they saw Harvey's transformation. Lucifer's shock was clear as day as he looked upon the form Tanya had taken.

"Well this just got interesting" He said to himself, eager for the fight at hand.