Chapter 19: Camping Trip

"I still don't get why we are trudging through some random forest on the Canadian Border" Jeffrey complained.

"I think some time away from the school will do the three of you some good" His mother replied.

Harvey and Tanya followed behind carrying their supplies for the trip. Tanya seemed to be enjoying this more than anyone else. They finally found the right spot near the base of a mountain and began to set up camp.  After they built a campfire and cooked their dinner the sun was beginning to set.

"Before we head to bed we need to discuss something" Rebecca said to the group at large. "While this is a team building exercise I admit there is a motive to this location in particular. In my years as a sargi I learned many secrets to our world- ones that have been hidden quite well for centuries. I have never confided these secrets in another because they were not my secrets to share. I have a group of friends who live nearby I want you to meet tomorrow and I want you hear what they have to say- especially you Tanya."

"Me" Tanya asked.

"Your gloves are hiding symptoms of your metamorphosis right" She asked Tanya. "You are the first pixie elf since the time of Hegasha."

"Pixie elf" Tanya asked confused, "Those don't exist anymore..."

"What's a pixie elf" Harvey asked.

"When a woman of the elven race is pure of heart and self sacrificing she undergoes a transformation" Rebecca began. "A pixie elf is born from this metamorphosis. Their powers are incredible: Resistance to dark Magic, Increased senses, a sixth sense for energy scrying, an auto-healing ability, a magical potential that grows with time and training. The also have a pair of wings on their back, akin to a dragonfly- this also serves as their biggest weakness as if the wings are damaged all magical reserves are redirected to healing the wings first. Another perk is when casting magic the most appropriate runes will show on her hand to act as an amplifier. All this is exclusive to the metamorphosis that only elven women have access to."

"Pixie elves are exclusive to elven women" Tanya asked, awestruck.

"How's that for gender validation" Rebecca added with a wink. "This does lead to one or more interesting complications..."

"An auto-healing ability" Tanya repeated, her eyes tearing up.

"Yeah I'm afraid that you will lose the ability to seek something you desire greatly" Rebecca confirmed in a grim tone. "You will never be able to get any kind of operation to allow you be more comfortable in your body."

"So my dream is being taken away" Tanya said, defeated.

"No- you still have a choice. So far you've resisted the metamorphosis but if you don't give into it soon you'll lose the chance to go through the transformation within a month or two."

"So all she has to do is keep resisting" Harvey said, hopeful.

"What's the catch, mom" Jeffrey asked. "What aren't you saying?"

"A pixie elf is a higher magic- to their race the highest magic imaginable" She explained, looking Tanya in the eyes. "No elf can disobey an order from a pixie elf- no matter what kind of power they have on their side."

"A higher power" Jeffrey said with a look of realization.

"That's right" Rebecca said confirming his conclusion.

"I have to choose between the future I always wanted... or  the power to end the suffering caused by my race" Tanya concluded.