Chapter 25: Jeffrey's Question

The rest of the school year was a blur for Jeffrey as he mastered his power. Their final school year also seemed to blur past as the fight with Lucifer was put on hold until after Tanya's coronation. Jeffrey had gotten used to the world of magic as this all became normal for him. Even so a question nagged at the back of his head- one he couldn't find an answer for.

"Check it out" Tanya said as she held up a rainbow colored scale she wore around her neck.

"That's one of Harvey's scales" Jeffrey said with a raised eyebrow. "What about it?"

Tanya let out a sigh with an annoyed look on her face as she sat down next to Jeffrey.

"If a dragon presents you with one of their own scales it means that they want you to be a part of their life forever" Tanya said with a dreamy look.

"So an engagement ring?"

Tanya smiled at him trying to contain her glee as she nodded.

"Aces" Jeffrey declared, hugging her tightly. "I'm so happy for you!" Jeffrey thought to himself for a moment. "Wait, is that why Harvey gave me one of his scales and said I was a brother to him a few weeks ago?"

"Aces, Jeffrey" Tanya said with a smile.

It was these moments that made the question particularly hard to answer but still he kept wondering....

The Crown. The Reaper Contract. Lucifer. The Pecona Jewel.

All these things caused suffering and they were all a result of magic...

Was magic the cause for all the world's problems?

Jeffrey knew the answer had to be no.... but he couldn't defend why he felt that way....

TO BE CONTINUED

IN

LUCIFER RISING