*Chapter 15

Zavian

I thumbed my lip in thought, alone in the large board hall. A room which would be occupied by many in no time. I was struck for words then, trying to make sense of what my sister had revealed just three days ago, something I was finding difficult to process especially with what Marius had seen just as we left.

A secret compartment beneath a chair, containing a locked wooden box and then Marius seeing Linnet having a large black key in her hand.

Why so you think it's hidden? The question of my father, my eyes squinted before the slamming of doors awoke me from the beginning of a memory which had been replaying in my mind for the few days.

Lord Steward paused having seen me from my seat.

"Your Highness," he bowed awkwardly, he hadn't expected me yet.

"Lord Steward." He coughed and righted himself, making his way over to his allocated seat at the table he sat down then.

There was a tense silence which settled between us which made me smirk. Where was the snide comments? The need to start an argument? Now that we were alone, it was almost as though he wasn't sure of himself, was it all an act? Or had he hoped to catch someone here first to discuss something?

"I hear you filled a complaint against me, Lord Steward." I began calmly and tapped the table. "I was rather disappointed you had not attempted to rectify our bad blood with me personally."

"Oh? Well, I have warned you on numerous occasions, your Highness." He waved his hand and coughed a little more. "It only seemed the more appropriate approach."

I tilted my head,"by discussing my behavior with my father?"

"Well, you know, it is within protocol."

I nodded slowly, "Of course." I leaned back. "So, have you had time to consider my request?" The look which drew his face, the pale skin, the wide incredulous eyes.

"I would have thought that over with."

"Oh, I'm afraid that's only possible with my death." He licked his teeth.

"Do you think this a game,your Highness?" He furrowed his brows then. "Allowing Mages to exist is one thing, giving them rights is another thing. We've spent years as a generation trying to rid the world of those evil creatures and you wish to grant them freedom? Do you hear yourself?"

I sat a little straighter then. "What do you mean by, "as a generation trying to rid the world..."? Are you taking credit for their near extinction?"

He clicked his tongue, "Are you trying to suggest they aren't almost extinct? It seems that while you furiously look for holes in my life, my story, you forget your own. I warn you, your Highness, tread carefully, do not overstep the kindness your father extends you."

I felt myself almost smile. Someone is defensive. "I wasn't aware that my birthright was a kindness extended to me." I chuckled. "And I had no idea how personal a topic this was for you, Lord Steward."

He pursed his lips and then the doors opened,the lords were startled but were rather calm. I kept my eye on Lord Steward who could the stop fidgeting and scowling. Something was amiss and I had a feeling it was Linnet's doing. Whatever that key was, she hadn't returned it and her father showed it. Interesting.