*Chapter 38

Zavian

"While I try to stop the lords, promise me... Promise me you will find my friend, Fendrel."

Her jaw tightened and her eyes grew cold.

"I cannot interfere."

"It's the least you can do. After everything you've now involved me in."

"That is a destiny belonging to you...I cannot involve my-"

"Then I won't do it." She gasped stepping back, her eyes enraged and I clenched my hands into fists. "If all you've ever done is bring me troubles, the least you can do is help me with this small thing. He is in danger because of my involvement with your fight with the lords."

"A fight you made your own without my existence before you." She seethed, her chest heaving before she cursed.

"Still. I've never asked anything of you..."

She licked her teeth. "Fendrel is safe."

I blinked confused.

"He has been claimed and by our laws, a claim is not to be meddled with, I cannot help you."

"Claim? What claim?" Her eyes shifted to Marius, furrowed brows, her lips parted.

"The claim of mates." She sighed. "Soul mates are rare among us, a myth to humans but a reality we hold onto, cherish dearly. With our lose hundreds of years ago, people have found it harder and harder to find their soulmates among their kind or other, so those with a mate, nobody can stand between."

"That suggests that he's been...been taken by a mage?"

"That is not too hard to believe." I laughed lowly before I let out a burst of laughter so great that even Marius was surprised.

"Unbelievable." I murmured looking over the cliff, turning my back on them.

Everything was a lot suddenly. I folded my arms over my chest staring at the playing children who did not know I was watching them, I looked up at the bright blue which mimicked the sun by...by magic. I shook my head then and my shoulders slumped as a weight settled in my mind.

After all these years of searching, or arguments and my own drive to earn freedom for a kind I had almost believed gone. The fight I began solely for Marius, because of what he was, the fight now grown and included children, various kinds of mage whose lives have been reduced to the very thing I stared down at.

It didn't seem fair, after years of their peace, now threatened by the greed of man. Again. I found myself wondering as I watched an adult mage, she smiled down at a youngling, bringing the child into her arms and kissing her forehead, their mouths moved and my heart ached.

Fendrel was out there, lost to me and now I was told it was by a mage, I wanted to be glad, that he wasn't in danger of man, or the lords who felt threatened by me, however I still worried for him, for his fear. The Tudors have never expressed belief for mages, however they never had much hatred for them, I worried for his shock, his mind introduced to something he had considered a myth.

Turning to Griselda who stared at Marius who was looking at me, his eyes brimming with conflict.

"How do I know you are not lying? How can I be sure you know for a fact that he is within the clutches of another mage?"

Her eyes softened. "I am the keeper of truths, a gift too rare among my kind. I see more than I wish." I felt my eyes burning.

"Then just tell me who. Just give me a name to hold accountable."