Letter 4

Still Thursday, February 27th, 1987

I tried my best not to freak out, but still, I had no other option that bring El to a park that is near my house, just because my place is crowded by this hour. So we sat on the grass, and here we are. I don't know what to say and neither she. But somehow we need to have this conversation, so I break the ice

"Are you going to tell me who is the lucky one?"

"I think you already know... and that's why we are here"

"...How did it happen? You've talked with him three times"

"Yeah but I don't know, that's why I guess it's not just a crush, I want to spend more time with him because of what he makes me feel like"

"C'mon El... he's not your Prince Charming"

"Oh, you can decide that for me?"

"I didn't mean that"

"That's exactly what you meant"

"Well, and I'm not wrong. Wayne has, like, several problems"

"I know! And I can handle it."

"You may ask Lucas that. If there's anyone who can tell you about being with Balmer, it is him"

"But I want to discover it myself Will. I want to know beyond what the rest see of him. I know he's more than that"

"... Again, in which moment did this happen?"

"The day of the fight, when everyone was gone, I told you we stayed there and talked for a while"

"Yes... so?"

"He told me... things. Things that made me believe that Wayne is not just a screwed kid. He's really sensitive, and charming, and it was so nice talking with him. It made me feel so good just because he's not like that with others, he tried his best just to talk with me"

"That doesn't mean Wayne was being honest with you, maybe he showed you what you wanted to see of him"

"And why would he do that?"

"Because he does like you, again, I don't understand how"

"Hey!"

"I say this because of the time you have spent together! You know perfectly what I think of you"

"We ran into each other a bunch of times you weren't there. Somedays, Lucas brought him to our table to have lunch with us"

"But why don't you ask yourself how is that he doesn't come with us more often?"

"Because he doesn't want to"

"And why's that?"

"Because big groups terrify him!"

"El please.... stop being so blind"

"I'm not blind Will! And if I were, I would stop being it if I knew Wayne better, don't you think so?!"

"Jane he's not emotionally prepared! He has enough stuff going on to start dating someone"

"No! On the contrary! I know I can help him to go through his issues, I can be good for him"

"I already knew that, but would he be good for you?"

"Yes! Of course!"

"Why are you so sure if you don't know him yet?"

"Just because! Okay Will?! I don't know why I said a thing if you weren't going to support me"

"I'll support you when you're right. Now, you're really wrong, and I need you to see that"