Chapter Nineteen

Grace's surprised gasp made me smile as I snuck behind her, pouncing last-minute. She was walking with a few of her friends, and I recognized two of them because they always seemed to be with her.

"Good morning," I greeted, nuzzling my nose into the back of her uniform shirt.

"Good morning," Grace replied, though her voice sounded a bit strangled. I felt a blush rise slightly to my ears when I noticed her friends were watching us, and I detached myself from her. Grace caught my wrist as I moved away, interlocking our fingers so I couldn't slip away. I wanted to press my shoulder against hers, but I also wanted to introduce myself to her friends.

It was difficult to act like Grace's friend because every time my skin touched hers I was reminded of the day we kissed in the classroom.

"I'm Olivia." I smiled at the girl nearest to me, a redheaded girl with a kind smile.

"We know," a brown-haired girl from behind her said. "It would be hard to find someone who didn't know your name." The redhead nodded, and I winced internally. So much for staying under the radar.

"I'm Hamilton," the redhead told me, and then pointed at the brown-haired girl, "and she's Amanda."

"At your service," Amanda dipped her head in a greeting characteristic of a knight. It was similar to my own manner of greeting, at least when I was Professor Eclaire, and I gasped.

"Are you by chance Amanda Ringard?" I questioned, recognizing her conduct. There was only one real knight enrolled at the academy that I knew of. In fact, once knighted, there was no reason to enroll in the academy-- as Professor, I had heard rumors that she joined to follow Grace. Grace had a plethora of dedicated allies, it seemed.

My own personal greeting was a blend of this knights' manners-- a touch I had picked up from the memories I had of my father-- and Professor McGowan's noble decorum. Seeing a knight's greeting never failed to send a pang through my chest and lift a smile on my lips, and I realized I liked Amanda already.

"The one and only," she grinned, seeming to be happy that I recognized her. Hamilton smiled affectionately at her friend.

"And, Hamilton," I started, wracking my brain. "What's your last name?" She brightened, seeming to understand what I was getting at.

"Hamilton Charles, of the Charles household," she clarified. I gaped, shooting a glance at Grace, who looked unperturbed. Truly, she was amazing, to have the daughter of a famous general and the daughter of the Prime Minister at her side so casually. Of course, they had probably been selected carefully; she was the duke's daughter, after all.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," I smiled softly at both of them.

"You're much nicer than the rumors suggested," Hamilton mused, and Grace glared at her. She laughed. "I didn't mean it like that-- I just meant that no one really knows what she's like. The whole school is practically buzzing with curiosity." This was the first time I had heard of it. Amanda must have picked up on my confused expression.

"It's because of this chick," she told me, sticking her thumb at Grace. I blinked, baffled at the rude manner with which she addressed the daughter of a duke. They must have been close. "Everyone's too scared to talk to you so no one really knows what you're like. You're an enigma to this school, someone who caught the attention of royalty even though it's rumored you have no talent to speak of." Amanda's eyes darkened in delight as she said this, and I felt for a moment that I had gotten a glimpse into her real personality.

"Amanda," Grace warned, but Amanda ignored her.

"It makes me want to test you, myself," she said, reaching for the sword at her side. Instinctively, I clenched my hand, the mana inside my body buzzing before realizing my mistake. A normal swordsman would have reached for their hilt so they could defend themselves. Hopefully, this would give her nothing more than a reassurance of my ineptness at the sword-- I hadn't revealed my magic, after all.