Chapter Thirty-one

More than anything, I felt numb as I passed countless rooms throughout the academy's expansive hallways, heading toward my classroom to prepare for my next lecture.

The classroom Grace and I had first kissed in. Rays of sunlight glinted across the surface of the desk I had sat in that day; the sunlight that had sparkles so beautifully and bittersweet against her silver hair. The day I had first realized the disparity that existed between us, royalty and Eclaire. I wondered, briefly: if I could go back to that time, would I push her away?

The stretch of hallway Grace had found me limp against the first time I had fallen victim to the blond girl's jealousy. She hadn't bothered me since the last time I saw her; I regretted not getting her name, making sure she would be okay. It was the first time anyone had ever carried me in their arms since the execution of my mother, the first time concern ever shone in Grace's eyes. From that time, I would only wind up placing even more stress upon her.

The garden we spent the last of our weeks in, enjoying each other's company, admiring the blue-blue of Grace's eyes and her soft smile as she looked down on me. I paused for more than a moment as I passed it by, grief gripping me; since my goodbye to Grace, it seemed that more flowers had been added to the expanse.

Deep red roses, similar to the color of Olivia's eyes, filled the bushes surrounding the wildflowers. Blue and brown melded the same way our gazes did when they met.

Olivia and Grace, that is. I closed my eyes and turned away from the sight, continuing my steady pace to the classroom. My eyes, like pale lead, suddenly felt ugly.

I paused outside the door to my lecture room, hardly a minute early, knowing many of my students would already be inside. Grace, she would be seated in the chair closest to the top like she always was, her impassive stare trained on nothing but her notes and my lecture as I taught.

I entered with a deep breath, focusing only on the task in front of me. I wouldn't look at Grace.

...

The clock ticked starkly against the echo of the room as I taught, and as soon as the period started it was over. Grace waited until everyone exited, as usual, to leave. I bit my lip as I realized she was acting the same as usual, the mask of a perfect student unrecognizable to me. Nowhere to be seen was the softness she addressed me with.

Our eyes met as she moved to the door.

I hadn't realized that, this entire time, a small hope had been living in the corner of my mind until it was crushed unforgivingly. Grace's gaze was like an icy lake as she nodded at me, apathetic, professional. No hint of recognition flashed through her eyes.

My hands trembled and I clenched them into fists, forcing myself to smile cordially at her as she left the classroom.

"Have a wonderful day, Miss Belloway," I wished her, and she nodded cooly in response.

Perhaps worse than that was the pain she carried in her shoulders, something I was only able to recognize after spending countless hours with her. It didn't feel good to know that I had hurt her, leaving the way I had.

In fact, it pierced into me relentlessly, a large cut of guilt stretching into my heart.

...

As the days passed, Grace only looked worse. I doubted anyone else could notice, but I had spent reckless hours studying every part of Grace. I noticed as the bags under her eyes started to darken, her responses growing as frigid and impassive as a snowstorm whenever I acknowledged her in class.

And as the days passed, the wound my guilt cut into me only festered, and I found myself staring at the sparkling red magic in my hand on more than one occasion.

Just once more. Once more I would become Olivia, so I could apologize, tell her to forget me, tell her to get more sleep. Tell her to take care of herself.

No, I can't do that. It was over, and I needed to work forward.

But when I passed by the garden Grace and I had spent so much time in and found Grace bent over the flowers, gazing at the delicate petals of the blue wildflowers I had loved with longing and melancholy, adoration, I knew I couldn't.

Just once more.

I felt the magic course through my veins, collecting around me and shifting me to become Olivia Denton. I folded my robe, placing it in an empty classroom, before stepping into the garden.

Sunlight touched my face like a soft caress and Grace turned to see who had entered, the coolness in her eyes breaking to become shock as she saw me.

"Are you real?" She murmured, and I stayed still, on the cusp of the academy and the garden that was no longer mine. She stood, walking toward me in slow, measured steps, and the emotion in her face broke my heart.

I smiled sheepishly.

"Hello, Grace," I said. Hesitantly, she took my hands in hers, smiling back and lifting them to her lips, kissing the knuckles delicately, one after the other. The light filtering from behind her illuminated her like she was the Goddess herself-- in it, she was utterly breathtaking.

"How touching," a deep voice chided, breaking me away from the moment. Before I could react, a burst of magic hit me, flinging me to the side.

I gasped as the wood of the wall splintered around my head when it hit it, warm blood running down my forehead.

"It's a shame to interrupt, but I hope you forgive me," the man mused, "There's no way I could possibly get through your defenses if I hadn't caught you off guard.."

"Olivia!" Grace shouted, sprinting to reach my side. She laid a hand on my head, feeling for damage. I lifted a shaky hand, resting it on hers.

"Grace, no," I panted, "run, please."

"How disgustingly pure," the man grumbled, stepping forward. Grace whipped her head to glare at him.

"How dare you? Olivia is one of your students, Professor Thurman."

A/N: Imagine proof-reading haha couldn't be me