Chapter Five

We sat outside the rubble of Mount Weather, hoping someone would show up.

Eventually, Raven radioed Bellamy again, "Once things are all clear there, they'll come and pick us up on the way back."

Of course. There's only one rover.

"How long?" Sinclair asked, slowly freezing in the cold.

"I don't know," Raven said.

After about an hour, they showed up, "Gina?"

I shook my head. If I'd been a second sooner. I could have saved her. I had to watch her die.

"How?" Bellamy asked.

I pointed to the area of my stomach just below my rib cage, "Stabbed here. She bled out."

The rest of the journey was silent.

"Welcome back," Pike greeted us at the gate. Bellamy pushes right past him, but as Pike turned to follow, I stopped him, shaking my head.

"What happened?"

"Azgeda," I said, "They- they destroyed the mountain."

He stood in stunned silence for long enough for me to sit in my usual seat on top of the Ark.

Lexa, who had apparently been the one looking for Clarke to protect her, had sent a Trikru army to protect us from Azgeda.

But if Queen Nia wanted the ice nation to march against us, that small army may not do much good.

I fell asleep slowly, letting the pain in my side from the explosion wear off.

In the morning, I slid down.

"Heard you got hit by the blast," Abby said, "Are you okay?"

Seeing a commotion further away in camp, I just nodded, "Fine."

I arrived in time to see Bellamy, Pike, and a few others being taken to a holding cell.

"What is this?" I asked the guard.

"They snitch out last night and killed the entire army. Every last soldier, even the wounded," he responded.

No. No, they wouldn't do that.

I walked up to Kane, "Let me talk to them."

"That's not a good idea-"

"No," I agreed, "But either you let me talk to them, or I get myself arrested and end up inside the cell, which is an even worse idea."

It was definitely better to have this next conversation with a metal mesh wall between us.

"Go," Kane said, then turning to the nearest guard, "Radio the others. Sky can talk to the prisoners."

The guard looked hesitant, but did as instructed as I stormed through the Ark to the holding cell.

Bellamy looked up at me, "I can explain."

"Then explain," I commanded, "Explain to me why you massacred an army sent to protect us while they slept."

"They would have attacked," Pike interrupted.

I turned to him, "I'm not asking you, I'm asking him."

"An army to help us against their own kind?" Bellamy asked, "You can't really think they were on our side."

"Azgeda has been trying to take over the coalition since Lexa formed it," I informed him, "Trikru wouldn't dare attack us if we would help them keep Azgeda at bay."