Chapter 20

We hadn't talked much since then. Dimitri seemed to cling to Rosalina and in turn distance himself as far away from me as possible. I couldn't help but feel melancholy. I had started to feel like I'd get my Dimitri back and I would get a fresh start too. What would I have done though? Lived my life as another person? I couldn't just live a lie. I wasn't Priya, I was Rose. I didn't want Dimitri this way. It didn't seem as if Dimitri wanted me either.

The farther Dimitri got the more I thought about my life in the court and Aleksei. I had been happy with Aleksei. Hadn't I? Maybe it was time that I gave up Dimitri. It hadn't been fair to drop Aleksei the way I had. It wasn't fair to me to live with Aleksei when I had feelings for dimitri. Did fair even matter? I'd had my chance with Dimitri. I couldn't think straight anymore. The thoughts crippled my brain and kept me awake at night. I needed to get away from it all. This is what I kept telling myself as I stood over my black striped duffel bag packing. A knock sounded on my door and I stiffened anticipating the interaction to come.

"Come in, Lissa."

"Are you sure about this?"

"What?"

"Are you sure about leaving?" I stood quietly and focused my attention on the lace sleeved shirts I was folding.

Arm. Arm. Fold.

Arm. Arm. Fold.

Arm. Ar-

"Rose!"

"Lissa, What do you want me to say?"

" 'Haha, Lissa. got you!' "

"Lissa, I'm going home."

"I thought this was home,"

"It was."

"Was?"

"Is. You're still my best friend."

"You say that again, but this time more convincing."

"I'm going to be with my family, I thought you'd be happy for me."

"Yeah? Well I thought I was your family."

"You are. But so are they."

"The woman that abandoned you at the Academy and the man that abandoned you from birth?"

"They're trying to get it right."

"I already got it right. I used to be all you needed,"

"I still need you."

"What an impeccable performance, Rose."

"Lissa!"

"Really, you could use and Ocsar. Get in line behind DiCaprio,"

"Lissa, I don't want to leave you-"

"Oh, cut the crap, if you didn't want to leave you wouldn't be leaving."

"I just want to be with my family, Lissa you should understand. I thought you would understand."

"Tell me more about what you need," turned on my heels and flew around her turned form the hurt I felt radiating off od me in uncontrollable waves of anger.

"I'm sorry not all of us have everything we want right in front of us. We can't all be rich, sheltered little girls that got to marry pyromaniac rich boyfriends and take all mommy and daddy had. We can't all inherit a kingdom and cut off the heads of people who beat us at dominoes. Not all of us have a best friend who drops everything for them and gets repaid with their "best friend" inviting the one person, who hurt them more than anyone in the world, into their home. Some of us have to work for the things in our lives and the small bit of happiness we get the chance to find we try to take it. Some of us thought that we had a best friend who would understand that. I guess some of us are better friends than others."