Chapter 21

My foot tapped furiously against the floor of the car and I was utterly surprised that I hadn’t stomped a hole through it with my force.

2 missed calls.

I couldn’t talk to her. What was I supposed to do?

She’s your best friend though.

I sighed and threw my phone into the cup holder in between the seats. We’d been driving for an hour and the sun was coming down steadily. I could see the apparent panic on the driver’s face as the night grew closer.

“I’m sure he won’t fire you. Besides it was kinda my fault, I wont let him, okay?” I said reassuringly.  He scoffed and glanced back at the clock.

“My apologies, Miss Mazur. However it is not my job that I’m worried about, it is your protection. I have been tasked with keeping you safe and as the darkness grows closer, I fear that we will be warranted some…unwanted guest. I only wish to protect you from harm, Miss Mazur.” He stated plainly before glancing up at the diving sun. I stared quietly out of the window at a loss for words. Protect me? I floundered searching my brain, grasping at something until finally.

“Hathaway,”

“Pardon?”

“It’s Hathaway, not Mazur. Rose Hathaway, so you can just…call me Rose?”

“My apologies, Miss Hathaway.” I sighed remembering what Lissa used to say about People calling her Princess Vasalisa. Lissa. I sighed to myself. I had to go see her. She was my best friend and I couldn’t leave things like this. My mind wandered to thoughts of Dimitri.

“I’ll tell him tomorrow,” I muttered to myself. I’d made up my mind. I couldn’t hide anymore.

“Pardon?”

“Nothing. Hey…what’s your name?”

“Ivan,” he said sparing me a grin.

“What are you?”

“A Guardian.”

“wait… you’re a dhampir?”

“Yes, I am”

“I thought you were human.” He scoffed again this time without apology.

“Human.”

“So you were…talking about Strigoi earlier?” His expression grew grave as he nodded curtly.

“They have been running rampant through this part of the city, kidnapping and turning. There’s a curfew. We have to pass through it to get to your father.”

“How does that work?”

“Do we have to stop at a check in or something to get through?”

“Huh! We drive and we drive fast!” he laughed heartily.

                                                                   -     -     -     -

The road was completely dark now but Ivan seemed to have relaxed a slight bit as we’d talked. He seemed to be a nice guy. His stern expression no longer walled me away from him and we laughed together as he told me jokes, taking my thoughts away from Lissa and Dmitri. We’d been driving for almost another hour now and I squirmed in my chair impatiently my leg having fallen asleep.

“Are we almost there?”

“Almost to the city limits,” he chuckled at me. “Shouldn’t be much longer after that.”

“City limits?”

“Yeah we’ve made it through the Strigoi territory.” He nodded. “Without a hitch I might add.” He said smiling to himself prideful in his actions.

“Well hot damn.” I said gleaming at him.