Chapter 25

“What does it say Rose?” Christian asked.  I looked around the room from face to face searching their expressions and testing the waters. But was I really testing the waters for them? I caught each set of eyes staring back at me, Christian, Abe, Dimitri, and my mother. Each set of eyes looking back at me expectantly. If I read it, it meant that it was real. It meant that it was all really happening. That Ivan was really dead and someone was after us. After me. They hadn’t even been there and suddenly, I felt alone. A lump formed in my throat and suddenly I couldn’t breathe. I closed my eyes.

“Rose?”

“Rose!”

“Rose?” A flurry of voices clashed seeming to berate me for my silence.  Maybe question me in concern. I squeezed my eyes shut tighter.  Christian, Abe, and my mother swirling around in my head behind my eyes. Until suddenly a voice broke through the chaos and pulled me through.

“Roza.” It was soft. Calm. I opened my eyes and saw him stand over me, his eyes full of concern. I saw what I’d always wanted to see behind them, love, love for me. He held my eyes and pulled his chair closer sitting and grasping my empty hand tightly.

“Rose?” Christian asked hesitantly. I turned to him.

“Where’s Lissa?”

“I’m right here.” My eyes snapped around to the doorway. There she stood her tall slim figure and cascading blonde hair her face slightly tilted to the floor but staring sheepishly through her curtain of hair at me.

“Lissa…” was all I could get out. I couldn’t speak. It hurt too much. The pain of everything going on seemed to overwhelm me. That’s all she needed. She walked closer to me and stood at my side. Dimitri squeezed my hand softly from the other side seeming to give me strength.

“Rose, I’m so sorry.” It gushed. She leaned down and hugged me and winced in pain but said nothing.

“Vasilisa-” Dimitri muttered in warning, never letting go of my hand. She pulled back and looked down at me. It looked as if it took a moment to register my condition but she smiled apologetically and nodded at me.

“Oops, I’m sorry.” And for a moment I almost forgot about everything that was going on, almost. My eyes flashed down to the note and I immediately regretted it. I thought about it too late and when my eyes went back they were met with the look of concern Lissa wore so well.

“Rose? What is it?” she asked.

“It’s a note,” Christian muttered “from whoever killed Ivan.”

“That bastard left a note?”

“Yeah, but Rose won’t tell us what it says.”

“It doesn’t say anything guys.” I said. Abe caught my eyes and glared at me.

“Rosemarie you will not-” he started.

“It doesn’t say anything.”

“Rose,” Dimitri’s warning tone sounded at me. I turned to meet his eyes.

“It says nothing. Nothing important.”

“Rose, you will not lie to me.”

“Rosemarie Hathaway, I think that it says something very important and these people are your friends and family! They care about you, If you will not tell them I will.” I turned to him his glare hard and intense. My mother’s eyes traveled between my father and I. You could see that it was killing her not to know but she stayed quiet, patient. Lissa reached down to snatch the note from my hand but I pulled it closer to my chest and sighed.