Chapter 17

I pulled away from him stumbling back into the doorway.

"W-what did you call me?"

"I'm sorry Priya I-ugh" He sighed and bald his fist up biting his pointer finger and sitting at the table. I took a deep breath and sighed with relief. He looked up at me and my body tensed once again but he wasn't looking at me anymore, he was looking through me. "Rose… Her name was Rose"

"Who was Rose?" I asked I'd determined that no matter how much it hurt I was going to finish the conversations. I was going to keep up pretenses.

"She was… the woman I used to Love."

"Oh." He'd called me a woman yet he said used to love. He chuckled his gaze growing more distant by the second.

"You've probably heard of the famous escape she and the princess executed a couple years ago. That Rose" he said. I opened my mouth to try and respond somehow but it wasn't needed because he'd continued talking. "She was the most beautiful person you'd ever be lucky enough to land your eyes on for even just a second. Every boy at the Academy knew that though. They'd all throw themselves at her. I still remember every detail about her" he sighed. I swallowed and folded my arms and leaned forward just a bit.

"Her long brown hair stopping at her chest. Her body curving just the right way in every place, and her eyes a beautiful chocolate brown. Eyes that I could swim in. Eyes that I could get lost in. I did get lost in those eyes and I loved every minute of it. I loved everything about her." He chuckled.

"Wha-" I swallowed and continued "What was she like?" he laughed lightly.

"A real smart ass. She always had a witty comment a comeback for everything. She was passionate about everything she did. She would have been the best guardian. She was always determined to be the best. Even more than anything she was determined to do her duty and protect the ones she loved. She was one of the most compassionate people I ever met even though she'd deny it if I ever brought it up."

"What happened?"

"We were both supposed to be guardians it would never have worked out. I tried to shield her from the hurt by distancing myself. I'd constantly remind us both that it was our duty to protect them. The moroi. They come first. I loved her though. I really did. She was beautiful everything I could ever want. The boys at the academy knew that anyone of them would be lucky to get a second of her time. It was me who didn't know how lucky I was. I'd been pushing her away and one night she couldn't take it anymore… She cut herself. She couldn't take it anymore." He laughed to himself but it was more of a sad laugh. A laugh to cover his hurt.

"Did she die?"

"No not in the sense you're talking about. She almost did though. Every doctor in the place had to work on her. They didn't mind though, she was loved by everyone she ever came in contact with. She didn't die but she'd turned into a hollow shell of a person. Even more so after I made the biggest mistake I will eve make in my whole life."

"What's that?" I asked my hands were shaking.

"I left her." He said looking to me sadly. His eyes were filled with despair.

"If it was the biggest mistake of your life then why did you leave?"

"I didn't know how good I had it. To have such a person love me as I loved them. I thought it was the best thing for us both. I thought I would never be able to commit to her the way she wanted because we were both guardians yet I see the love the same way all around me. Just as I saw you and guardian Artyom. So I left, and I was a fool to do so" my heart sank at the thought of Aleksei. I knew I'd have to make a choice soon but yet here I sat still keeping up this silly pretense with Dimitri.