Riots

"Just when we thought 2020 couldn't get any worse," Iris sighed in disgust as she looked up from her phone. Another article, another riot. George Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, was killed by the police about two weeks ago. He'd been on his stomach, hands cuffed behind his back, one of the officers kneeling on his neck. Despite begging that he couldn't breathe, the cop didn't let up until he was dead. Two other officers had held him down while a fourth kept onlookers from interfering. In response, the entire world began to protest. Some of these protests had since turned violent: tear gas, rubber bullets, buildings being looted and burned. It was the stuff of nightmares, but this time, everyone was wide awake.

Iris, Storm and all their friends had already been to at least a couple protests. They'd also all been donating to Black Lives Matter, the ACLU, the NAACP, the George Floyd Memorial Fund and various local bail funds for protesters who were arrested. But even if they were unable to protest or donate money, there were other ways to help.

Iris had been watching all sorts of Youtube videos to rack up ad revenue for BLM while some of their other friends had been busily writing to anyone/everyone about what needed to change and how that change could be made. And on a smaller scale, there was always the act of signing petitions, showing solidarity on social media and simply studying up not just on what had happened, but on how it could be fixed, and what other historical things had led to this moment.

But even though there were many ways to help, the news could still be so dour. The article that Iris had just finished detailed a case wherein three young men had been trying to leave a protest peacefully only to get attacked by a cop. It was stuff like this that turned protests into riots. But when would more of the blame fall upon the cops rather than the protestors? Three people had been trying to leave peacefully, but they were still attacked! So it had been a peaceful protest until someone else (a cop, not a protestor) made it violent.

And on top of the riots, Corona was still an issue. And the media sometimes demonized the protestors, painting them all as reckless upstarts. Was it any surprise some people were losing hope?

"Oh, I'm not losing hope, and I'm not about to give up," Storm had said, barely able to conceal her rage as Iris told her the story. "I just want one of the protests in our area to turn into a riot so that I can have an excuse to bust some heads!"

Iris winced, but she almost agreed. She definitely wanted to help Storm calm down, but she couldn't deny that she shared the same sentiment. Of course, neither of them would ever do it, but they'd both fantasized about starting a riot just so they could fight back! But of course, they knew it was a horrible idea, and had low chance of succeeding. It would also endanger a lot of innocent people. But, to play Devil's advocate again, it seemed as though the only way to see real change in the world was through things like riots. After all, their very country had been born from one. And both the gay liberation movement and Civil Rights movement had also been rather violent.

Iris heaved a world-weary sigh. Not too long ago, one of her friends had jokingly said that Earth in 2020 felt like a little dungheap on fire. Neither of them had ever realized how literal that joke would become. Iris even almost felt bad about calling this month Pride Month, because there certainly wasn't much to be proud (or happy) about.

ooo

"Nonsense!" Clover cried passionately. Later that night, Iris had hopped onto Discord, quick to call up Clover. "There's still plenty to be proud of! Heck, I'm proud of these protests! I mean, I'm not proud of the riots or any of the violence happening, but the protests are proof that this country is sick of the brutality. When was the last time we were so united?" And she had a point. There'd been marches in every state!

Now, Clover certainly didn't sugarcoat. She was just as appalled as anyone by the racism, but she was a naturally optimistic person. Even if she, too, could fall victim to fear, anger and grief, she also knew how to find hope, even in the darkest of times and places. She didn't just sit there telling Iris to chin up, but even though she didn't hold back, she always managed to sound validating and encouraging.

"I honestly want to tear each and every prison apart brick by brick!" she admitted. "Or at the very least, I'd love to see the cops behind the bars rather than in front. Give em a taste of their own medicine! And hey, there are plenty of low-level offenders who deserve to be let out. In my opinion, a violent cop is much more deserving of jailtime than someone in possession of weed."

"Agreed! The prisons need a reform just as badly as the cops!" Iris scoffed. The entire justice system was so... unjust. There was law, but no order.

"But no matter how upset we get, we have to remember to keep moving forward," Clover said at last. "We can't let our anger blind us, make us forget the true purpose behind our cause. We need clear minds to find a solution, so we can't get too lost in our pain."

"True, true," Iris said. And there it was. Clover managed to bring the hope and encouragement back after validating Iris' bitterness. She truly was a gift and Iris was forever grateful that they'd become best friends.

"It's ok to be upset sometimes, I think. That can even act as a motivator, of sorts. But after long enough in the mire, it is kind of our duty to get back out there and try to help," she continued, and once again, Iris completely agreed.

But even though Clover was encouraging and optimistic, she wasn't stupid or naive. She was able to balance that optimism with realism and cynicism, striking a perfect balance between the extremes. That way, it was still logical and valid to look towards a better, bright future, but the harsh realities of life would not come as nasty surprises. Their hope would be realistic rather than idealistic.

"I don't think it's foolish to dream of a happier future," Clover said. "I don't think my positivity and resilience are wrong, but that's because they're balanced with pragmaticism and self-awareness. I won't deny that the world sucks right now, and the odds of it getting better are painfully low, but I still don't want to give up. I want to keep fighting because even if we can't save THE world, I want to save A world."

By the end of Clover's impromptu motivational speech, Iris actually felt better. Of course, Iris was also very cheerful, chipper and resilient, but she appreciated Clover's kind, gentle determination and faith in the future. It helped her feel more at peace as well, and it helped make her feel better and stronger, even if she wasn't necessarily happier.

"It's people like you that make it possible to still call this month a Pride Month," Iris told Clover fondly. "You're someone we can be proud of, and you remind me to keep my pride as well."

"Well, you know what they say," Clover sounded flattered and embarrassed by Iris' compliments. "The first Pride was a riot."

"True," Iris agreed with a soft laugh. "Riots are in our blood. The blood of Revolutionaries."

"And it's a common ground we share with other oppressed groups," Clover continued. "Solidarity. Stronger together!"

"Yes, that's what friends and allies are for!" Iris agreed, and even though her words sounded cliché, her tone was firm and faithful. Even though 2020 was hard, there was always someone to reach out to. And even if the meaning of Pride seemed lost now, it would not be lost forever!

AN: Sorry for a more serious story, but if anyone needs the comfort, please reach out! I've listed all the places you can find me in my bio!