Discord

The only good thing to come out of 2020 was Discord. At least for Iris.

"I'm just really glad you're all in my life," she admitted, the sappiness coming back full swing. She'd become increasingly affectionate of late, thanks to Discord. Of course, she'd always been a happy and peppy soul, but this new sort of affection was much deeper and softer. It was a new type of emotional vulnerability that she'd never known before. But in light of Corona, quarantine and Discord, a new side of her was opening up.

"I know it sounds cliché, and you guys may be sick of hearing it, but I hope you believe and understand that every word I say is true. I'm not just trying to be nice. I really, truly, deeply care for all of you, and am forever grateful for the joys and lessons you've given me this year. The love I feel for you all is strong and deep. I'm not just calling y'all my bros, you're much more than that. I feel genuinely lucky to have met you all!

"You guys may not know it, may not realize it, but you truly are all magnificent! You guys have so much talent and passion, that's why I feel so lucky to know you all! You guys always blow me away with everything that you are. You guys aren't just talented, but you're so good and kind. Even the little things you guys do are so meaningful and incredible!

"And to think that you guys like me too still floors me sometimes. I mean, I wouldn't consider myself a girl with low esteem, but knowing that people as wonderful as you like someone like me is just so amazing! Just getting to bond with you guys and be vulnerable has meant the world to me. And I think it's done me more good than I realize... Like, maybe to you all, this is just simple chatter, but to me, it's much more.

You guys have opened me up and broken me down, in a good way. You all taught me how to be soft, kind, gentle and sweet. You all made me more honest, brave and strong. You made me more accepting and understanding. You guys have literally helped me become better person! And now, thanks to you all, I want to continue on that path of self-improvement, no matter how hard it gets! You all inspire me so much!

"I'll never not be amazed at everyone's uniqueness, talent, love, compassion and vulnerability. You all are so honest, friendly and helpful. You always have my back. It inspires me to be the same. You all are just such good people, and I want to be the same! Truly, because I knew you, I have been changed for good. But the craziest part of all, you all changed the course of history, and you didn't even try!

"You guys weren't trying to be heroes, but that's what you became to me. Your good deeds will spread out across space and time, some of them even spreading through me! And I hope I can add a few good deeds of my own, so that my own works will ripple across space and time too. Even the smallest of things have become big for me, and I owe you all a debt of gratitude I can never repay. So thank you all, so much, truly!"

ooo

"Oh, god, turn down the sap!" Aces was the first to speak, laughing, but they could hear the tears in his voice. It was clear that Iris' words had moved him. The same went for Storm, who hated showing emotion. She didn't even speak, choosing instead just to reach over and squeeze Iris' arm lovingly, but that was more than enough. Iris understood, and she gave Storm a teary smile.

"Oh, Iris!" Clover was a bit more emotional. They could hear the high-pitched whine in her voice that signified how touched she was.

"Nah, Iris, you're just as wonderful and talented as all the rest of us!" Princeton encouraged next.

"Yeah, without you, a lot of us would've never joined this awesome group!" Quincy agreed. "So thanks for inviting us all in!"

"You're just as important as us, and you deserve to stand alongside us!" Emma promised, also trying to encourage the other woman.

"Yeah, you've contributed a lot, and we all respect and admire you just as much as you respect and admire us!" Mallory cried.

"You've acted as a connection point for us all, and a constant supporter to the best of your ability. We are lucky to have you," said Tempest.

"Yeah, this Discord has been the high point of my life too!" Gale added. "Games, movies, memes, talking. It's such a perfect way for us all to keep in touch! I know that even without Corona, it isn't always easy for us to meet up, so this was an excellent idea, Iris!"

"I can't take full credit," Iris laughed softly. "I joined another server at the start of this year. She's the one who inspired me to do this."

"Regardless, we still owe you for taking the time to make, and lead, this server, and make sure we all joined!" Gale encouraged.

"I'm just glad you all said yes," Iris laughed. "And that you all do indeed take time out of your day to chat with me."

"Of course we would! It's a lot of fun here!" Tempest promised warmly. "I feel like I've also become a better person thanks to Discord."

"Ironic, given its name, huh?" Aces laughed. "It's an accurate descriptor of this year though!" he added, earning a laugh from everyone else.

"But still, I wanted to thank you all for making my 2020 a pretty darn good year even though the rest of the world sucks!" Iris laughed. "Thank you all for being there for me, and helping me become a better person. You all rock!"

"Right back at ya!"

"Same to you, love!"

"Same, dear!"

"Yup, yup!"

"You're welcome!"

"Our pleasure!"

"Thank you too!"

The voice chat remained sentimental and sappy for a little while longer, Iris' story inspiring others to open up as well. But in time, they returned to a world of laughter, memes, streams and videogames. In something that was harmony rather than discord, the group of friends suddenly found themselves goofing off and having a blast, but the deep love they'd felt during Iris' confession was still very much there, and even after everything else had passed, that much would remain for as long as any of them could make it.

AN: Happy Pride 2020, everyone, and thank you all so much for being everything that you are! I love all of you!

Shout out to: Penguinlover611, PsychoCalixteLove, Snorlax891, iam_luntian, SpookyLesbianGothWitch, woodmr13, Scott, Dimitri, Net Neutrality, The Walking Android 18, Moviebuff3000, Megatruck, DangerousASMR, Eremiandor, Dolpha, Briana, Khonsu, I Lesbi-Can't, NyctOphelia, AJ Strange, Gamer2345, Missing, Sire Mittens, Imperium of Dawn, DankDungeonMaster, and many, many more!