Twenty One - Keon

Fire rushed through my veins as I writhed on the floor in pain, my head consumed with the shouts of various words. Suddenly I felt invisible hands grabbing at my body, as the panic within me continued to grow. What the fuck.

"Is it possible he can have a panic attack in a comatose state?"

I tried to grab hold of my thoughts - a panic attack? I'd caused a panic attack whilst comatose? That didn't make sense.

"Breathing elevated, pulse elevated...but he had been largely stable until now."

I lay there, helpless, alone, unable to get up. The aching and burning in my chest grew as time passed, the mumbled voices growing into this unbearable rumble of noise, some words and phrases leaping out at me from the mess of sound. 

"Potentially, we could bring him out of the state?"

My eyes widened at the comment - they're gonna bring me back, to reality? No more comatose? I groaned at the thought. Great, they wanted me alive. Not surprising, seeing as I was in a hospital...why did I overdose at school? Stupid boy. Two voices out of the mess became dominant - a woman and a man.

"I'd like to keep him under. And run more tests before we make any rash decisions."

"The boy is clearly distressed within the state, surely it would be a better decision to bring him out of it and give him some clarity. I can't imagine how terrified he is stuck in an unconscious state if he has an extensive history of dark thoughts. He's in a never-ending nightmare."

"This is ridiculous - should he deteriorate we have no choice but to subject him to comatose all over again, surely this would be a greater emotional toll."

The voices stopped for a moment, as I attempted to catch my breath.

"I'm taking this decision to clinical lead, and I think she'll agree that bringing him back is the best option, you know."

The voices began to fade as I managed to gain some control and a feeling of mellowness came over me, my body beginning to relax and the pain in my chest subsiding.

"There we go...anxiety meds seem to do the trick. Hopefully that's making him a tad more comfortable."

My entire body breathed a sigh of relief, before I managed to compose myself and sit upright. 

Nothingness was all around me. No Awsten, no Otto, no Geoff. Just...me, and the room, and my thoughts. I brought my knees to my body and shivered, tears welling in my eyes. I'd made them disappear and now it was just me with my thoughts. I stared down at my arms, blemish covered, scarred and weeping - the damage inflicted was extensive. Running a finger down the burns and cuts, I shivered again. All I wanted to do was disappear and not feel again, as I willed for them to just let me cease and fade into the nothingness.