Home for the Holidays

Midnight Mass was almost over.

Mihael and Mail, Roger noticed, were leaning against each other, both of them hardly staying awake. Excited as they were for Christmas, they were equally exhausted from the day's chaos and play. They were at the height of chaotic play- Mihael had just turned eleven about a week and a half ago- the time when games become ruthless and fierce, but before play is completely usurped by more adult recreation.

They both were scheduled to truly begin the Exodus program to become a candidate to success L as early as December 31st of that year. New names, new classes, and new expectations, even while they had been told before how they were special. They had each "met" L, also.

Mass ended, and the boys nudged each other awake before trudging along with the other boys, staying close.

Upon seeing that Mihael had finally made a lasting friend at the orphanage, Roger promptly roomed the two together. He had been measurably lonely and miserable at the house for over two years followed by another two with Mail as his sole companion. Staff had noticed, since Mihael's first arrival when he was a little thing of seven, a rising discomfort in him. It was played off as grieving his family still, until a good year had passed. He had habits of nightmares, bedwetting, a tendency to cry, and new, more violent behaviors began to surface. Just before Mail arrived, while L was still a ward of the orphanage, Mihael had struck L in the face with a Mathematics textbook. Amazingly, even though L's shirt had to be thrown out on behalf of a decent sized nosebleed, nothing was broken. With Mail, he was more capable of going about his days, and the halls began to carry his laughter and sounds of delight. Less sitting on the bench outside of the office for various transgressions, and more running past the door just as it opened from the inside after or from his new friend.

He watched the duo as they split off from the herd and slipped inside of the room they shared with two other boys, Samuel and Gee (Giovanni), all four names displayed on the stockings hung on the door. Residents lasting for a year or more generally had their stockings embroidered as the staff began to know them, this was the case with Mihael, Mail, and Gee.

In the morning, they each picked up their charity-filled stocking and flew to the large central room (turned playroom) to see what presents they had. Various local organizations gave gifts and "adopted" a child to give to, and each received 2-4 presents as well as their stocking. Staff filled the stockings for each boy, building on what little or much they knew about each, and were usually very successful.

Quillish and L had spent the night for the festivities, and sat relatively close on a sofa against the wall drinking their morning coffee. The especially young and unfamiliar with the house genius strayed away from that section of wall.

Mail and Mihael collected their presents and opened them side by side about six feet from L and Mr. Wammy, snacking on their candy and chatting. Near was in the general area, taking apart one of the wooden puzzles he received to solve it again.

And the house itself was happy. One could perceive it as a happy place, even in lieu of the occasional sniffle of grief orphanages foster on the holidays. It wasn't a smothering grief, that's all you can ask for.

Another mass and service took place near noon.

As dinner rolled around, they all remained dressed in their best suits, and continued playing. There was hardly a boy with his pants long enough to cover his ankles, but they all ate the finest thing the cook could get her hands on and cook competently with the help of a few sisters from Hyde Abbey, friends and benefactors of the house. The fires were burned hotter and longer, the heat was turned higher for the occasion, and no one was cold. Plump and pleased wards littered the open rooms and halls; occasionally pressing together with a "Merry Christmas" between them.

The wards retired to beds that had been fully laundered and switched throughout the day, all sheets returned and all prayer quilts returned to their designated boy. Small ones and senior residents alike snuggled a touch deeper under the covers, because they had found their family once again.