10 - Dead or Alive

You keep repeating to yourself this is just a friendly outing, though it's hard to forget with Frisk's knowing looks and Undyne's messages. It's harder still when you get down from the ride and see just how grand the patisserie you've been invited to is. In comparison to a regular bakery or coffee shop, you're met with people clad in semi casual outfits and an ambience similar to that of a five-star restaurant. What reminds you this is just a place for eating desserts is being greeted at the front by a humbler-dressed, white-furred bunny monster labeling himself as the second owner of the establishment, the name 'Roger' spelled out on his name tag. He greets you and Sans in, offering a pamphlet out to you. 

"I remember you," he comments, facing towards Sans with a smile. "You're from Snowdin, aren't you? It's nice to see you've found a date up here!" The excitement in his tone warns he's about to ramble on. "It's so refreshing to see other people like us! Honestly, we… we made this shop hoping more would show up, but you two are the second couple I've had the knowledge of serving here so far!"

"Like us?" you ask, facing the bunnyman. "Is your partner human?" 

"Yes!" he takes your hand, nose twitching with pent up energy. "People always come here talking loud and angry about it, so I always have to be on watch. The first couple that came here got scared off by a rude customer, but now my girlfriend makes sure to keep an eye out!" He lets go, apologizing after. "I get too excited every time I see a human and a monster walk in together, but they always tell me they're just friends! And while I get that, honestly it's... it's such a joy to have you guys here!"

"We're actually not-"

"I get what you mean." In the spur of the moment, you interrupt Sans when he tries to say the truth. The bunnyman's excitement is too bright to rain on, resulting in you wanting to play along. With how he is, you're sure the skeleton's not going to let you live it down, but one look at the hope in the other monster's eyes is enough to make your heart turn to mush. "This is actually our first date, but we're getting there."

He smiles, though it soon fades as he looks at the approaching customers from afar. Then, he looks to the shop, speaking up when he sees the ones who entered in before you have already sat down. "Sorry for holding you back so much," he adds, huffing as an apologetic look makes its way through. "I try really hard not to get too excited about stuff, but again... It's so nice to have you guys here!" He points over to the counter, his smile reappearing. "Go ahead and stop by the counter, alright? You can order to-go. Or just sit down after, if you want to stay!"

"Thank you," you reply, returning his smile. 

You make way into the shop with Sans by your side, avoiding eye contact all the way to the counter. You already know he has a comment on the ready, so it's not much of a surprise when you hear him speak up right before making it there. "So," he says, letting out a chuckle. "First date, huh?" He walks a little closer to your side, trying to get you to look at him, but failing. "Was that meant as a lie, or are you hintin' at somethin' else there, lady?"

"I'm not sure what to think of this myself, but…" You breathe in, not wanting to admit your own wants just yet. "In the end, I only did it 'cause I couldn't bring myself to get his hopes down." A pink-furred bunnywoman takes your order, the reply you'd given Sans by text being worded out by him, along with his own order and Frisk's favorite dessert to-go. While you have your wallet close by, you're not told to pay yet, and are instead led to an empty table, where you're both left to wait. You thank the monster as she leaves, going back to your conversation with Sans as soon as she's gone. "But even if this was a date, I still don't think I'd be able to accept having another one after today's."

At that, his curiosity rises, shown by the subtle flicker in his irises. "What do you mean?"

You brace yourself, avoiding his gaze by toying with the cutlery left on the table. "I need to focus more on raising Frisk before going anywhere with my love life."