13 - The Color Red

“Are you really going to let Frisk hangout with them?” Jerry asks, offering you a drink. The smell of alcohol is beyond distinguishable when you take it; you can feel your eyes burn and your throat itch in response to its strength. “Weren’t you the one who said they hurt Frisk in the first place?” You take the drink and set it aside. If he was trying to soften you up by making you tipsy, you weren’t falling for it. “How come they get to see Frisk more often than I do?”

You sit up straight, letting your legs drape off the chair. “I’m still deciding what to do with that,” you reply, facing over to the beach. With the sun already close to hiding, you can tell it’s getting late. Three hours had gone by since you made it here, and yet he still chose to wait until the last minute to talk about this matter with you. “And I never restricted you from seeing Frisk. You did that to yourself.” Your shoulders tense at the feeling of his hands bringing you in for a back hug, his chin resting against your upper back. You brush him away and glare him down, jaw clenching. “Don’t touch me,” you blurt out, chest heaving. “I’m already seeing someone else.” That last sentence is unplanned and more of a necessary impulse than anything else. Even if you weren’t in something official with the one in question yet, you didn’t want to play around.

“Who?”

“That’s none of your business.”

Jerry stands up from his own chair, now his turn to be angry. “It is if he'll be the one who’ll be replacing me.” His hands clench and his back straightens, his height once more towering over you. “You can’t just date any stranger you meet.” Not wanting to feel small, you stand up and lift your gaze, meeting with his eyes. “If the guy turns out to be bad, he wouldn’t only be hurting you, but Frisk, too.”

“And you think I don’t know that?” You frown, shuddering when a gust of wind blows by. “I’ve been single ever since we broke up, Jerry. It’s only now that I’m finally starting to do it again!” When another gust hits, you take a towel and wrap it around your body, shielding yourself from the cold. Ready to leave, you lift your chin and turn around, only to be held back by him again. “What? It’s getting late, and Frisk’s already sleeping.”

“Hear me out for a second, please,” you hear him say. Your back’s still to him, leaving his expression unknown. His voice is what reveals it, a hint of gravity reaching his tone. “I just want what’s best for Frisk and… and you.”

“You had time to worry about that way before this. It's too late for your concern now.” Again, you brush his hand away and take a step forward. “You can see Frisk anytime you want so long as they want to, but I don’t want to talk with you anymore, Jerry. You had your time, not now when you've just found out I’m dating someone else.”

“C'mon now. You’re being selfish.”

The next time you feel him touch you, it’s around your waist. He tries to hug you again, but you reject him by pushing him off of you. “I said,” you snap, turning around, “Don’t touch me. You were the one who wanted to do it without any protection, so don’t you dare try this with me again.”

With him now four feet apart from you, your gazes are more leveled out. Still, he tries to make up for it by closing off distance, attempting to corner you. “And yet you still agreed to it,” he says, taking a step forward. “You’re no less innocent, (Y/N).”

Furious, you want to stay and argue, yet your mind fights against it. Id and ego have a conflict as you try not to let things explode, already done with Jerry for today. The sand sinks and slows you down when you try to make an exit, opening a path for him to stop you again. He holds your wrists and keeps you in place. There's tears welling up in his eyes and a sense of longing present in his touch. "I meant it when I said I missed you," he adds, holding you stronger. "I was... I was scared back then, thinking I wouldn't be a good father for our kid, so I left. But now I'm responsible enough, (Y/N), and I can prove it to you." His face gets closer, enough for you to smell the booze in his breath. "Don't you miss me? Just give me one more chance, and you'll see what I mean."