10.5 - Dead or Alive (A Different Perspective)

Ask and you shall receive.

Also, 'small pov' somehow ended up with me writing well over 2k words, essentially making another chapter on its own.

• • •

"This is actually our first date, but we're getting there."

His soul almost stops at that sentence, yet he tries not to let it show. Based on how charmed (Y/N) was around monsters who weren't heavily involved with the intentions of the Royal Guard, he assumes she's lying for the sake of not letting the bunnyman down. He observes and listens to their exchange by the side, only intervening when he's escorted with her into the patisserie.

Before arriving at the counter, he brings up that sentence and the meaning behind it. He has some confidence as to what her reply will be, but when she actually speaks up, it only complicates his thoughts and the pace of his soul. "I'm not sure what to think of this myself, but… In the end, I only did it 'cause I couldn't bring myself to get his hopes down."

He'd hit the nail in the head.

But what was the reason behind her doubts?

Did she feel forced to go out with him, simply for having gotten to know Frisk during their journey?

It didn't feel that way, yet he didn't exactly know her well enough to be one-hundred percent sure about those assumptions. For all he knew, she could be pretending and trying to get along with him just for the sake of Frisk's happiness and the rest of their monster friends. It wasn't safe to cross out that possibility just yet.

A bunnywoman arrives and he words out his orders, saying (Y/N)'s, then his, and finally Frisk's to-go. He can see her wallet poke out from her purse, though she holds it back when he's directed with her to a table, no upfront payment needed. "But even if this was a date, I still don't think I'd be able to accept having another one after today's," she adds, sitting down and facing her lap.

At that, his curiosity rises, and he can't help asking her for a little more detail. "What do you mean?"

She fidgets before answering. "I need to focus more on raising Frisk before going anywhere with my love life."

"Why?" He wants to disappear with how abrupt, rude, and plain nosy that question comes out. Knowing he's already screwed up and not wanting to ruin things by making her angry, he hurries to elaborate his question better, saying, "So you haven't dated anyone ever since that day?" He breathes out as subtly as possible, relieved to see her nod. 

A brown bear appears, referring to himself as the waiter in charge of the table for today. He's in formal wear, something the human seems to be charmed by, a similar look to when she didn't want to disappoint the bunnyman showing itself on her face. She continues when the bear leaves, her words once more catching the skeleton off guard. "I haven't, and to be honest I'd…" She keeps quiet for a while, making his doubts return. He's worried he's asking questions far too personal for her to be in any way comfortable with him, but she doesn't stop on her answers. "I'd like to keep it that way for as long as it's needed. I need to be there for Frisk, and I need to be more careful of who I date from now on." She sounds more at ease the further she talks, helping calm some of his tension down. "You see, I… I really don't want Frisk to grow up in an environment full of constant fights and disagreements." 

That seems to be the final drop in the bucket for her to expose her heart out to him. Words practically flow out of her mouth as she continues to explain the reasons behind her self-imposed limitations. She tells him of Jerry and her relationship with him post-pregnancy, of those seven years without dating anyone, and over the responsibility she felt was on her shoulders ever since Jerry stopped acting as a father for Frisk. He's irked with everything she says, specially the last part, but again, he tries not to let his emotions show too much, wanting to listen to her instead.