Chapter 34: Distractions

The lab's doors were locked. Unsightly metal sheets covered its smashed windows. Families and Trainers with innocent Pokémon questions could no longer enter. Professor Magnolia furiously marched to the police station to demand further investigation, only to find the case was already closed. Jovi was distraught. Her Aura Detector was like amber preserving memories of the first time she felt close to her mother since her father's death. The thief stole that too.

Abbey found herself working on the simulation mostly alone. Morale was low. Sonia was convinced it was a waste of time. Only Abbey was in a rush, because she had to complete anything Anabel was waiting for in the next three days... or she wouldn't be able to get the train to Wyndon on Monday.

Cascading rain turned rolling hills to slush as the sun rose on Sunday morning. Abbey's Pokémon dozed around the desk, except Vaporeon, who was enjoying the rain. They worked through the night. Struggling to keep her eyes open, Abbey was annoyed with her friends. This wasn't her area of expertise. It was taking her twice as long as it would take Hop, who began simulating Eternatus hitting various rocks, a task more fitting for Abbey. Jovi was preoccupied with making a new Aura Detector while Sonia pored over books and magazines. She thought Jovi might as well go home.

The ladder creaked. She expected Hop, but was surprised to see Jovi. Mimi and Pluplu skipped after her down the stairs. Joltik sat on her shoulder. Her tired eyes were red.

'Have... have you worked all night?'

'What do you think?'

'Can I take over?'

Abbey blinked. 'Have you finished your Aura Detector?'

'No, but – I just talked to Michael. He really yelled at me.'

'Why?'

'Well, I got so upset, I wasn't really working much, you know... he had to remind me – sorry, you don't have to listen to my problems. I'll just take the laptop.'

'You can tell me. It's alright.'

'Well – my dad died while he was working on the Purify Chamber. Everyone was really unmotivated without him. Then Prof. Krane was kidnapped and I heard everyone complaining like Sonia, saying it would never get done and it was a waste of time without Dad or Krane anyway. Then Mom – Mom rallied everyone to get it done, to try for dad no matter what they thought and – they did.'

When she looked up from wringing her hands, she wore a renewed expression of determination.

'I came to Galar to help Anabel. To help the Pokémon that might be at risk. So that's what I have to do. No matter what anyone thinks or says. And anyway, you trust her.'

Smiling through tears, she raised her clenched fists. 'So you get some sleep. I'll work on the simulation. Together we'll get it done way before your date!'

Abbey was almost too tired to care... but maybe she was beginning to trust Jovi, to hear the voice of a friend and not someone whose colleagues knew Alfie. She handed over Sonia's laptop. Calling Vaporeon inside, she left Garchomp and Meowstic downstairs in case anything sinister happened. She didn't even care that Cinderace was in the way of her feet. She fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

When Abbey trudged downstairs at midday, Hop was at the desk with Jovi. His laptop, plugged into several external hard drives and a machine she hadn't seen before, was attached to Jovi's. He was unusually serious.

'We've managed to simulate this Shadow Charizard Dynamaxing, although both laptops can barely handle it.'

'Well done! I told you you'd it'd get done twice as fast as me.'