Chapter 47: All the Rumours Are True

Through the airport's floor-to-ceiling windows, Sonia spotted a blur of cerulean. Jovi clung to Hop's hand as they sprinted to the desk.

'Well, there they are.'

Leon fumbled to undo his seatbelt. Raihan complained when he climbed over, whacking his knees into Marnie's seat.

'Sorry, sorry, sorry!'

He wasn't apologising to Raihan, but the passengers he knocked as he charged down the aisle.

'Wait! Wait just a minute!'

Sonia wearily laid her head on the seat in front. 'They're a right pair.'

Flight staff told him to return to his seat. Piers suggested letting out his Skuntank. There was a chorus of 'no, no, no!' from his friends and strangers alike. Then Hop jogged on. Jovi, doubled up and breathless, shuffled after him. They were both giggling. As Hop triumphantly fastened his seatbelt, he became aware that his brother was glaring. He offered an awkward smile. Abbey thought Leon might give him one last scowl and turn away, but he didn't.

'You had me worried sick!'

'Sorry, Lee.'

Sonia hestiated. 'He does have a point.'

'You do realise that if I hadn't embarrassed myself over there, you'd have missed a P300,000 flight?'

Hop avoided his gaze. Leon shook his head. 'Never mind.'

'No, don't say that. I want to know how you feel. I really am sorry, Lee.'

'Well, as long as you've learned from it, it doesn't matter.'

It was impossible to tell if his smile was genuine. 'I guess you had fun, then?'

'Yeah... I never knew Motostoke could be that interesting to anyone.'

'Sorry,' Jovi said tentatively, still catching her breath, 'It was my fault.'

Abbey rested her head on Leon's shoulder. She was exhausted. Her arm wound absentmindedly around his waist. He unfolded the Poké Ball print blanket he brought and draped it over them. When she opened her eyes, there was a faint smell of sausage curry. The aisles were packed with people scrambling for their bags. Raihan, nudging Leon awake, was sniggering about what they must have been up to last night. Leon elbowed him back.

'Get oot.'

Abbey was knocked abruptly alert by Jovi's falling suitcase. Her first thought was that people must have seen them snuggled up.

Oh well.

She knew her way, from almost anywhere in Castelia's Twin Heroes Airport, to the gates frequented by flight AL098 to Heahea City. Striding ahead with Leon and Sonia, they almost lost Jovi and Hop when he stopped to take photos of her with a poster of Mossdeep City. Raihan began to tell her about his trip to Hoenn for the World Championships, but she was distracted. She was watching Hop. Abbey smirked at Leon.

'We ought to give your brother a taste of his own medicine.'

'What?'

Of course Leon hasn't noticed. Of course he hasn't.

'Check out Jovi checking him out.'

He glanced back. 'I probably wouldn't notice unless they were making out in front of my face, but she seems nice.'

I think she actually thinks you're a criminal. Though I could almost convince myself nothing is serious and nothing is unsettling and I'm just going on holiday with my mates. Almost.