[3] Masquerade

IT HAS NOW been two days since I've been trapped in this mad house

Nancy and I's relationship is still as rocky as ever. I'm barely able to look at her, let alone utter more than a few sentences to her out of the fear that I might actually lash out.

Valerie, aka, the two faced bitch, glares me down whenever our parents are out of earshot, but whenever they are, she smiles at me and puts on a show making it seem like we're best of friends. Although I must admit she's a really good actress, it's so hard to keep up with her constant switching.

The only bright side about this whole thing is Emmet. Just like I had suspected, we get along really well and we're actually quite similar. Much like me, Emmet came from humble beginnings, but with a little elbow grease and dedication, he can proudly say he's made it to where he is today, mostly on his own.

He's very playful, fun and carefree, which is one of the main reasons I like him; but right now, all I want to do is chop his head off!

"Hope just take it, please." He begs me for the umpteenth time, giving me the puppy dog eyes. But I look away, not wanting to be tempted to give in.

"Emmet, look I can't okay. It's very kind of you and all, but this is just way too expensive... I just can't." I say with a deep sigh fiddling with my fingers.

"Are you sure that's the only reason why." He questions softly.

I sigh as I stare down at my lap, quite upset that he was able to figure me out that easily. Merely a few moments ago, Nancy came in here and attempted to give me the brand new gadgets she had gotten me, but I immediately denied it, deciding that putting up with my beat up iPhone 5 and nonexistent laptop is better than taking anything from her.

She can keep her money for all I care. I didn't need it then, and I sure as hell don't need it now. When she left my bedroom looking defeated, I assumed that was the end of it. But much to my dismay, Emmet just had to walk in here, hit me with those puppy dog eyes and now, I'm actually considering taking it.

"Look, Emmet, you've already done enough for me. You've fed me for the past two days, bought me tons and tons of new clothes and school supplies, you've even payed my tuition to go to one of the top private schools in the country. You've already done a lot for me in the short time I've been here and I don't feel comfortable taking anymore from you." I say finally looking up at him.

Hey, it's not a total lie. I do feel uncomfortable taking so much from them. And although I understand that they mean no harm, I can't help but feel like a charity case around them. Like I don't belong, nor do I fit in with their high class standard of living.

"Is that what you think?" He questions with a soft chuckle before he moves from his previous position by the wall and comes to sit next to me at the edge of my bed. "Look Hope, I know that all your life, things have been hard for you. Trust me, I understand where you're coming from. After basically being on your own for quite a while, you find it hard to trust again." He says as he stares off into space, his mind drifting away as he reminisces.