[7] Day One

THERE IS NOTHING that you can tell me, because without a doubt, I look like the walking dead

Disgusting, I think to myself as I stare blankly at my bathroom mirror. I have dark streaks of mascara all over my cheeks from how much crying I did last night. One of my false lashes is crooked while the other is nowhere to be found. And my lipstick has somehow managed to get everywhere on my face.

Disadvantages of sleeping with your makeup on.

Don't try this at home kids.

I quickly strip out of my dress from last night and hop into the shower. As the scorching hot water infiltrates my pores and washes away the memories of last night, I feel like I suddenly have time to just... think.

Today is going to be my first day at Deupont Prep, and to say I'm nervous would kind of be an understatement.

I'm petrified!

I just want to get through this year trouble free, but if the kids over there are anything like Valerie, I highly doubt I'll be able to enjoy such a privilege.

I know how these things work. I'm going to be the new girl. Fresh meat for those lions to sink their dirty little teeth in and rip into shreads. Hence why I've come up with a golden rule: I just have to keep my head down and lay low.

If I can apply that rule for the rest of the year, I should be good!

Once I'm out of the shower, I brush my teeth quickly and get dressed in my uniform, which is just a white button up shirt and a burgundy colored skirt; then I match it with the brand new pair of Nike Air Force Ones that Nancy and Emmet got me. I decide to let my brown curls fly free, then I put on some lip balm.

That should do, I think to myself as I stare at the mirror one last time.

I fumble around my room for a while, trying to gather some of the stuff I'll need for school today until I accidentally trip over one of my unpacked suitcases lying at the foot of my bed, causing the contents to come flying out.

"Dang it!" I groan out as I look at the floor which is now littered with a bunch of stray items that I haven't gotten around to unpacking yet. I start picking them up and stuffing them back into my suitcase as quick as I can until a silver glimmer of light catches my eye.

I pick it up and clutch the little silver ring, finding warmth and familiarity coursing through me as I trace the outline of the intricately carved symbols and patterns, ever so delicately.

"I miss you so much daddy." I whisper softly as I place a gentle kiss onto the ring. Impulsively, I look around my messy floor, knowing that my jewelry box should be around here somewhere... aha!

I grab the tiny container that contains about two necklaces and couple of ear rings. I pick up a silver necklace and strip it of its pendant. I replace it by gently lacing the chain around the ring then placing it around my neck, and it comes to a stop just a few inches below my collar bone. As the cold metal comes in contact with my warm skin, I can't help but shed a tear.