ephemeral fireflies

chapter 23;; ephemeral fireflies
ع˖⁺ ☁⋆ ୭ 🕊.⋆。⋆༶⋆˙⊹

As they sat around the bonfire, Taehyung realised it was moments like these which made him feel alive.

He inhaled the scent of the brisk midnight air, the sound of crickets and laughter in the near distance bringing warmth to his soul. The care-free, ephemeral fireflies flying in the distance made him feel safe. He found them absolutely fascinating.

There was a drastic difference with how many stars were visible by the lake compared to back at his dorm. He wished people appreciated the beauty of the galaxy above them more, or lesser things, like a single fallen feather of a dove, or a shell coated in pale specs of sand.

The world would be beautiful if people could dissect intricate designs and the oneness of colours, for each had a different connotation, a different feel. Each of them were special.

Seokjin came out of the log cabin, a guitar in his hand. He sat next to Namjoon and strummed away at it. The boys listened intently to the music, passing a cheap packet of marshmallows around to roast on the fire.

Namjoon roasted one for the older, blowing on it before feeding him, not wanting him to miss out.

Taehyung absolutely adored seeing his friends happy. It wasn't that he was envious, it was just that he wanted that carefree lifestyle. They seemed to go with the flow and keep a calm attitude to whatever happens in life.

Well, except for Hoseok. He was the only one who reminded him that it's natural to feel worrisome and to have anxieties about the unknown future. The poor guy got in a sweat over (to anyone else) the littlest things, but luckily his friends understood.

They didn't tell him to get a grip, nor did they get tired of it. Instead, they let him know they loved him no matter what and checked in on him regularly. Obviously, they knew he didn't always want to talk about his problems, but he knew they would listen whenever he felt like talking about it.

Words couldn't express how much he appreciated that.

He really wanted to improve himself and become a happier person. Perhaps it was his obsession with Jungkook that anchored his mood. It would make sense, for he felt more often than not exhausted from bottling his emotions up around him.

It would be nice to spend nights out like this and not feel trapped in the four walls of his mind, for the words in his head echoed in that room louder than thunder.

Under the doll-faced moon, they reminisced about their high school experiences, each taking turns to speak, still snacking on marshmallows as Seokjin played the guitar.

Naturally, they found Jimin's stories extra interesting, for they didn't know much about him. He felt bad for stealing the spotlight, but they all insisted that they loved hearing his different stories and experiences. Personally, he didn't think they were worth listening to, though they seemed to.

They made him feel welcome and wanted. He adored that feeling, just like Taehyung did.

Hours passed and it was the early morning, though none of them wanted to sleep. If they did, the perfect day would be over and they all enjoyed it too much to do that.

As Taehyung sighed, his gaze naturally wondered up to the sky.

He didn't know why it seemed to allure him so much.

"They're nice, huh," Jimin pointed out, allowing his eyes to focus on the sky for the first time in a while.

"You think so?" Taehyung tilted his head. He looked down and studied Jimin's features. The reflection of the stars created specs of white in his beautifully black orbs. The older nodded, lowering his head, jumping slightly when he realised Taehyung's face was inches away from his.