A/N: song of the chapter: Let Me Know by LANY | (it goes with the chapter really well)
——————————————————————
Ethan

Today was terrible. Hearing the lawyers present the case today just broke my heart for Emma.

Seeing her cry while she was on the stand made my heart bleed.

At least that's what it felt like.

She invited Grayson and I to come to Charlie's, but I didn't go because I knew I wouldn't enjoy it if her boyfriend was there.

So, I stayed home.

I ended up driving around for a little while, attempting to clear my mind, but it wasn't exactly working. I was worried about Emma.

As I was driving, I stumbled upon a place that all of us completely forgot about.

It was this little overlook that was kind of near the woods. You could see a little bit of our small town. The school's football field, and the baseball field were in full view. Some of the town's shopping centers could be seen from there too. I always liked seeing the town lit up at night.

It was pretty late by the time I sat down in the grass at the overlook.

I couldn't tell if time was going my fast or slow. When all you do is think it feels like it's going by slower.

I was surprised when Emma sat down next to me, but at the same time when all is said and done it made perfect sense.

"Hey." I breathed.

"Grayson told me you might be here." She said.

"You were looking for me?" I asked.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay."

After everything she's been through, she wants to make sure I'm okay. That's one thing I love about her. She's always been this way.

"It's just rough for me to see you upset, and I know the trial was tough for you today."

She leaned her head on my shoulder. I felt myself relax at her touch. "I don't want you to feel guilty about what happened to me."

"I know. But it doesn't change that I still feel terrible about it."

Emma nodded, silence filling the air. It wasn't awkward, but I was trying to find something to say to fill the air.

"I'm surprised you're not with your family right now."

"Lexie and Riley went back to their hotel. They're spending the night at my house tomorrow. And Jared went home because he has to get up early for school tomorrow. His school only allows so many absences, so he couldn't afford to use three of them in one sitting."

"How are you holding up, Em?"

She leaned her head back onto my shoulder. "I'm okay. Just miss you."

"You know, the whole time you were on the stand today I really just wanted you in my arms because I felt like you need comfort in a time like this."

She looked at me, her eyebrows slightly furrowing. "You're right, Ethan. That's kind of part of the reason I came here. Something always brings me to you." I accidentally looked down at her lips and then back up to her eyes, causing her eyes to travel down to my lips. "I don't regret what we did." She whispered.

"You don't?"

"I wish I did, but no. I don't."

I'm in trouble with this girl.