17

Six Months Later
Emma

Everything was perfect. We were still going strong. Stronger than ever.

My mom found me a new therapist after I came home from Chicago, and this therapist works a lot better for me than my previous one did. Maybe it's because she's been through some of the same things that I've been through, but she's great. It works. I'm doing way better than I have been even in the last few years.

Yesterday was our high school graduation. Years of hard work paid off, and now we are all high school graduates.

Ethan, Grayson and I are all going to the same university. We all got accepted to Columbia University in New York City.

The next night after graduation, Ethan wanted to take me somewhere special, so we went out to a fancy restaurant.

The food was amazing, but all I could think about was the way Ethan and I have been doing so well together this time. This time really was the final thing for both of us. Forever.

I didn't know where he was taking me after dinner, but it was to the little overlook that we used to go to when we were young kids.

He told me to turn around for a second, and when he told me to turn back around to face him, he was down on one knee with a ring box in his hand.

"I know we're young, Emma. But there's no doubt in my mind that we belong together. I want to take care of you, and go through life with you for the rest of our lives. We've been through so much together, and frankly if we can make it through your disappearance, we can make it through anything. I love you more than anything. So, will you make me the happiest I've ever been and please marry me?"

I lowered myself onto the grass so that I was standing on my knees, eye level with Ethan, and I kissed him before I said anything. Pressing my forehead against his, I said "Of course I'll marry you, Ethan."

We kissed again before he slid the beautiful ring onto my finger. I couldn't believe it. We're engaged.

"I can't believe this. We're actually gonna get married." I said. "I love you so much."

Ethan smiled, kissing me again, both of us pouring all of our love into the kiss.

Everything was perfect.

We were perfect.

We walked hand in hand back to the car and drove back to Ethan's house, where some of our friends and close family we waiting for us.

I had no idea.

Lexie and Riley even came. They're gonna be staying in the guest rooms at my house for half of the summer. I'm so excited.

As for the rest of the party, my group of girls were there, some of Ethan's close football guys, Grayson, Lisa and my mother.

It was so nice to just celebrate, and have good food with our friends and family.

This is how it's supposed to be.

I can tell that Ethan and I are making the right choice. Even the way he simply looks at me tells me how much he loves me, and his actions show how much he loves taking care of me.

We had to go through a lot to get to where we are now, but it was worth it.

The story doesn't end here, of course. It's still too early for that, but what I can confirm is that Ethan and I are happy.

He makes me the happiest woman I've ever been. He gives me respect, he gives me love. Care. Adventure.

He's the apple of my eye. The jewel of my heart.

No one compares to Ethan. No one ever will in my eyes. I learned that the hard way.

He's my sunshine even in the darkest of days and nights. He's my partner in crime. My best friend. My person.

Everything's how it's supposed to be.

-

Ethan

I was super nervous when I asked Emma to marry me, but it was way worth it. Knowing that I'm the only one she'll ever be with again is the greatest feeling in the world.

I was so relieved when she said yes.

After everything we've gone through, this was what we deserved. Happiness.

The look on her face when she saw me down on one knee was something I'd never forget because of how happy she looked.

That's when I knew we were making the right choice. I hadn't seen Emma this happy in probably over a year.

Knowing that I made her this happy warms my heart.

And I helped Sophia surprise Emma by arranging for her sisters to come to Virginia for most of the summer. I knew Emma would be super happy about that.

It's crazy to think that this whole thing happened because I had a girlfriend who wasn't Emma, and my brother acted like he was pursuing her.

I always look back and laugh at how oblivious I was during that time. I find it really funny that I actually believed that Grayson and Emma liked each other. It's weird to even think about.

That whole time period of my life is weird to think about because so much has changed since then.

I'm with Emma instead of Alayna right now, Alayna came out as bi and is still with her girlfriend Grace to this day. Emma and I are engaged. Grayson is still girl crazy, and now we're all going to college.

I never would've applied to an Ivy League school, but Emma prodded me to, and I ended up getting accepted.

So did she. And Grayson. We're all going to Columbia University.

If you asked me ten years ago what I wanted to do when I grew up, I'd probably say that I wanted to go to college with the two people that mattered most to me. Emma, and Grayson.

Funny that it actually worked out that way, but dreams come true even if you think they might not. You just have to have hope.

Things get better. Emma and I made it through.