Chapter VI

Bree and I have been leaning on a lamppost waiting on Mila for about a minute. Soon Mila is driving towards us in Ole' Reliable. When she's positioned before us, she unlocks the doors for us to get in so that we can wait for the police without having to be near that woman. We could've gone to Mrs. Laney's, but we didn't want to be bombarded with questions we don't have the answers to. We'll explain everything to her later.

Mila goes to park in an empty space, which is towards the back of the parking lot. She parks so that we're facing the building. We need to keep our eyes on that apartment.

It feels like an hour has passed since I called the police. I'm starting to get upset because of how long it's taking. The police usually don't take this long. Pine Lake Apartments isn't even that far from the precinct.

I'm lost inside my head when suddenly I spot a figure coming from the building. I lean my body forward from the backseat and tap Bree and Mila.

"Look! I know good and well that isn't that lady." I say while pointing at the stranger.

Bree leans forward as well.

"It looks like her." Bree looks at me then at Mila.

Bree lets out a long breath.

"We tied her up. What the hell? I bet she's in the CIA." Bree squints her eyes.

I try to study the lady, but she won't look up. Her hair looks exactly the same though. The same shade of dark brown, almost black. Her hands are in her pockets. I didn't pay attention to her attire at first, but now I am. She has on dark jeans, black Nike tennis shoes, and a black hoodie. The go-to outfit for any criminal. Well at least that's how it is in the movies.

Mila speaks next.

"Let's see where she goes. If she brought us here in our car, how is she gonna leave?"

"The person she was talking to on the phone is probably gonna come, and that's how she'll leave."

As soon as I say those words, a black BMW pulls up in front of her.

Before she gets in the car, she looks up and somehow looks directly at our car. I can see the blood on her face. Most of it has dried up, but it's still there. Mila puts the car in drive.

"We're gonna follow them."

Bree puts her hand on Mila's arm.

"That woman is crazy, and you wanna follow her? And we're almost on E. Girl, right now isn't the time to get all tough. We have to think logically. Let's just wait for the police to come, and then we'll file a report."

"How are we gonna file a report? They won't believe us. She's leaving!" Mila raises her voice at Bree. "And keep in mind, the lady is white. They won't give our report a second glance. Y'all need to get tough or they'll get away. Is that what y'all want?"

I step in because I can sense that this is about to become a bickering mess.

"Mila, let's be honest. This isn't gonna work. Now is not the time."

She turns to look at me. "So, we're just gonna sit and wait for the police. It's been almost 30 minutes, and no one is here. It's 4:02."

We're so busy arguing that we don't notice that the black BMW is now positioned right in front of our car. I don't know how long they've been here, but they catch our attention at the same time.

Our conversation is over.

The driver side window rolls down. I see an older white man. He looks to be in his 60s. Whatever his age is, he looks good for an older man. I can tell that he works out. He's healthy and in shape. I start thinking that if we have to fight them, we might not be able to take them down. It'll still be three against two so we may have a chance.