ACT ONE, SCENE ONE

_\|/_

BATTERY CITY CONSULTATION ROOM

The sound of footsteps echo against the concrete floors. Among the many draculoids standing guard at the entrances, KORSE enters with a stone cold expression. KORSE stops right in front of two guards who stood slumped with their shoulders slumping over their chests. FLARE looks at him with distaste.

KORSE: "Badges. Now." (Grabbing the two cards from their grasps.) "And you reported that the older brother is missing?"

FLARE: "Question the younger if he knew of him leaving. And what about the neighbors?"

KORSE: "The mechanic, I checked his schedule to find that he was working during the time."

FLARE: "Still, question him."

KORSE: "It's against The Director's orders to question a citizen more than once a month."

FLARE: "Not unless they're suspected to be a conspiracist."

KORSE: "The mechanic is the least of our worries right now."

FLARE: "Right. Because you suspect the Way brothers are some unpredictable danger?"

KORSE: "Well—" (He stops short.)

FLARE: "You've had a thing for them ever since their parents took them out of corrections. Their parents already suffered the consequences, we are done with those two until we see an actual threat."

KORSE: "And who are you to decide who and what is a threat or not?"

FLARE: "Being one of Director's top three gives me that kind of say."

KORSE: "A say that will get you dead or worse— blanked."

FLARE: "Whatever. Continue on with the reports. I'll check with the other unit." (She sets her eyes at the two guards. Eyes burning holes through their masks.) "You two, go back to your wards for a check up."