5

After Kara explained the plan to Mal, Carlos, Evie, and Jay, Carlos and Jay went to the locker room to shower and change into their normal clothes. Mal, Evie, and Kara went to their lockers to drop off their books. Kara opened her locker and tossed her schoolbooks inside, clearly displeased with school.

"Do you think you have a spell in your mother's spellbook that could help?" Kara asked Mal.

"Yeah, I think so," Mal replied. "There's a spell for everything in there, so we should be able to find the right one."

"Okay, shall we start looking?" Kara suggested.

"Sure," Mal agreed.

"I can't, guys," Evie interjected. "I have an idea for a new dress, and I really want to work on it."

"Okay," Kara said. Evie grabbed a book and a binder from her locker.

"Bye, Mal, Kara," Evie said, waving as she left.

"Bye," Mal and Kara replied in unison. Mal closed her locker and walked toward the glass railing to find a quiet place for their spellbook research. Kara retrieved The Hobbit from her locker, expecting a lengthy search.

As Kara closed her locker, she saw Ben casually leaning against the lockers, his hands in his pockets.

"Hey!" Ben greeted with a broad smile.

"Hey," Kara replied, hugging The Hobbit to her chest.

"How was your first day?" Ben asked with genuine interest.

Kara searched for the right words. "Super," she said, tinged with sarcasm.

Ben's gaze shifted to the book she was holding. "So, what are you reading?"

Jane walked by, glancing nervously over her shoulder. Kara subtly nodded in Jane's direction to Mal, who followed Jane with a mischievous grin.

"Uhm, The Hobbit," Kara said, turning back to Ben.

"Ah, a classic," Ben remarked.

"Oh, I didn't know," Kara admitted.

"Wait, you've never read it?" Ben asked, surprised.

"Well, we didn't have many books on the Isle," Kara explained. "The only ones we had were schoolbooks."

"Oh, right," Ben said awkwardly, glancing down.

"How are you liking it so far?" Ben asked.

Kara's face lit up. "Oh, I really like all the different characters and worlds you encounter. There are hobbits, wizards, dwarfs, elves—probably more that I haven't met yet. It's fascinating to see how they all live and interact. And the places! Even though I haven't seen them in person, the descriptions are so vivid and beautiful..."

Ben's smile widened as he listened, clearly enjoying her enthusiasm. Mid-sentence, Kara realized she was rambling. "I'm rambling," she said, a blush creeping onto her cheeks as she looked down.

"No, no, it's okay," Ben reassured her. "I don't mind at all."

Kara looked up, smiling at him. "Well, I think I need to get going," she said, taking a few steps backward.

"Huh? What? No, wait," Ben said, but Kara had already turned to leave.

As she walked away quickly, Ben hurried after her. "Kara, wait up!"

She stopped and turned back, surprised to see Ben catching up to her.

"Sorry," Ben said, slightly breathless. "I just wanted to say, if you ever want to talk more about the book or need any recommendations, you can always visit the library. Or if you prefer something more private, I have a personal collection you might like."