10

over the next few days, brady comes and sees me off and on and kairi brings me my meals. and mostly i sleep.

it's tuesday afternoon and i still have 4 days here before i can go back home.

today is the first day of school and mine and brady's parents have work and everyone else has school so no one can come visit me.

i'm staring at the wall in front of me and i start crying at the thought of not having my friends be here with me.

kairi walks in and when he sees me, his smile fades to a frown. he rushes over to me and puts his hand on my arm.

kairi : are you okay? do you need me to get the doctor?
me : uh no i'm fine.

i wipe my tears trying to keep my voice from shaking.

kairi : you can talk to me. i might work here but that doesn't mean we can't be friends. we're still the same age.
me : it's just brady won't be able to come see me anymore. because school started. and my other friends and family can't either. and i'm missing the first day of junior year.
(had my birthday over the summer)

he moves his hand onto my hand.

kairi : i can fill in for today. or for any day you need me to.
me : really?
kairi : of course. i mean i am here to help.
me : yeah.

i giggle a little bit and me and kairi start having a conversation. the doctor walks in.

doc : cosentino, we have an emergency patient visit in room 417. we need your help stat.

the doctor rushes out and kairi looks at me with a frown.

kairi : i'll be back soon. i promise.

he runs out of my room, gently shutting the door behind me. i turn on the tv and wait until he gets back.

i sit there for what seems like hours. still no kairi. i want to ask someone if they know where he is, but i don't want to sound needy.

i decide just to keep waiting. i look out of the window to see him talking to a girl. he's holding her hand and they're laughing. then he kisses her cheek as he walks back towards my room.

me : ugh.

i get up and shut my curtains. i don't know why this is making me so jealous. i have feelings for brady. and i don't think i could even handle a relationship right now.

but it still made me crazy jealous that he liked her and not me. i don't know why.