49

once i get back in the room, i look at the time and it's 6:15 already. i look over and realize liz is gone.

me : liz?

i look in the bathroom to find her throwing up. i rub her back as she wipes off her mouth with toilet paper.

me : you good, sis?
liz : yep. but i guess it's supposed to get better soon though. can you believe that i will already be in my second trimester in 3 weeks.
me : i know. and i'll be a month along in 3 weeks.
liz : yeah.

i help her up and she gets back in bed. i'm wide awake now so i go downstairs and lay next to kairi on my phone waiting for him to wake up.

i eventually get tired and go back to sleep. about an hour and a half later, we both wake up to talking coming from the kitchen.

i get off the couch with kai, and we go near the kitchen. liz is in there and she's on facetime with someone.

we stand around the corner and listen to the conversation.

liz : ethan why did you do this? i don't understand.
ethan : because i'm not fucking ready to be a dad, liz.
liz : you just said the other day that you were happy to see my smile and the baby's smile.
ethan : okay well things change.
liz : okay well i can't do this on my own, ethan. how do you think this baby is going to feel when they find out that their dad left them and doesn't love them?
ethan : who ever said i didn't love them?
liz : well you sure aren't acting like you do.
ethan : stop putting words into my mouth, elizabeth.
liz : then you stop being and idiot and start caring for this child.
ethan : i still care for them. i'm just young, liz.
liz : ethan, if you really actually loved me, you would get back with me and help me.
ethan : of course i love you. i always will. and maybe when i'm older and ready to be a father, then i'll get back together with you.
liz : ethan. i wouldn't even have this baby if it wasn't for you.
ethan : you didn't have to agree to have sex with me.
liz : you are being so petty right now and you don't even realize it.
ethan : look i'm sorry. i'm just not ready.

liz pauses for a second.

liz : ethan. you're adopted. you grew up for 8 years without a mother or a father. you really want this child to go through what you went through? even if it is only partially. you know how bad it was and you remember it. i remember, for the first week you were adopted, you would cry every night remembering what you went through. do not make this baby go through that.

ethan doesn't answer so liz hangs up on him.

i go into the kitchen and sit next to her and put my arms around her.

me : i'm sorry, sis.
liz : it's whatever. everyone wants to be a single teen mom at the age of 16, right?
me : don't worry. he'll come around. i think you really got to him with that last part this time.
liz : hopefully.

she hugs me back and then we eat breakfast.