twelve

Thomas

Ki Hong, Dylan and a bunch of the other runners came back right before the doors closed. Ki called another gathering and I sent Blake to go get Becca and Dexter. Ki pulled me aside to talk about what they saw in the maze.

“Thomas they are crazy wild. If we leave tomorrow it’s no guarantee that everyone will make it out.” He tells me and I then see Becca enter the room.

“We have to take that risk. I can’t be in here again Ki Hong.” I say and he nods.

Becca walks over to me and gives me a huge hug. I hug her back an afraid to let go because if I do she will be gone forever. She stands on her tip toes and whispers in my ear.

“I need to talk to you after this.” I just nod and she sits down next to me in the same spot we were in earlier.

Ki Hong stands up and yells for everyone to be quiet. They all do exactly that. Everyone is quiet and waits for Ki Hong to say something.

"What we saw in the maze was the pattern it’s at and I know how we can get out tomorrow. We are leaving tomorrow. I know a lot of us don’t want to be back here and I get that. We can leave tomorrow, but the risk is huge. The shadows and grievers will get in our way, but that’s not going to stop us.” Ki says.

The whole room breaks out into a wave of conversation. This time Dylan tells them all to be quiet. The room is completely silent.

“Why are we going to do something that could get some of us killed?” One boy calls out.

“If you want to stay in this shuck maze and never see your family again, be my guest.” Ki says and the boy shuts up.  “Anyone else want to argue?” He asks and there is nothing but silence.

“Its settled then, once those doors open we are out of here. We are going to need all the daylight we can get.” Ki says and then everyone leaves the gathering to go get food from Dexter.

Becca and I are sitting on a log around the huge bon fire. There is food and music and laughter. We are getting out forever tomorrow and everyone knows it. Even though no one is really sure if they are going to be alive or not to see the other side.

“What did you need to talk to me about?” I ask her.

She looks up at me before she says anything. “I wanted to apologize. I’m sorry I didn’t believe you before, and I was so distant. I just though you finding me was the reason you guys got sent back here. I didn’t know that this was a test or anything like that.” She goes on and I cut her off by kissing her.

She responds and then breaks away. “What was that for?” she asks smiling like an idiot.

“I love you that’s all, and don’t forget it.” I say and kiss her again.

“Thomas can I ask you something?” she says breaking the silence between us.