TWENTY-SECOND CHAPTER

So here she was sitting, all alone in a crowded bar. A drink in hand, while the man she had been waiting for was chatting with someone else. Sipping from her beer, she tried to come up with an improvement of her plan. There was no reason to give up the plan, this was just a little obstacle she had to overcome. Relationships could end and dating someone who worked for a cartel certainly had its disadvantages. With a little bit of luck, the girl didn't even know what he did for a living. 

From the dark corner where she was sitting, she kept her eyes on Nestor. There was a hint of a smile on his lips, but he didn't exactly look love-struck. They weren't holding hands, there were no flirty moves. They were together for a long time or they weren't together at all. 

"Hello, beautiful," a man's voice sounded next to her. 

Juanita swallowed a sigh. Just what she needed. Some asshole who was bothering her. At the other hand... It was a better cover than sitting here all alone. Turning her head aside, she eyed the men. He was handsome, but compared to Cruz he was boring as fuck. Frowning to herself, she wondered why the hell she even thought of Cruz. 

"Yeah, you can buy me a drink," she said to the guy before he could say anything else. She winked at him. 

He smiled. "A girl who knows what she wants. I like that."

One more cheesy comment and she wanted to strangle him; she wondered if he would still like her directness. She said nothing, all she wanted was a free drink. From the corner of her eye, she watched how Nestor's company shoved back her chair. Were they already leaving? No, it was only the woman who stood up and started to walk towards the restroom. 

"Holy fucking shit," Juanita muttered as she caught a glimpse of the girl's face. 

No — it couldn't be. 

Juanita was about to go after the girl, but she forced herself to stay put. It couldn't be her, it made no fucking sense. It had to be some girl who looked like her, she had no business in this town and certainly not in this bar with fucking Nestor Oceteva. And if she was really here — well then her whole plan fell apart.

Ignoring the man next to her, she kept staring at the door to the restrooms. The minutes past by slowly. What if she was right? What should she do? No — it was nonsense. Camila never left the camp, she certainly wouldn't...

The door opened. 

And there she was indeed. Camila. The rebel girl, her friend who had a crush on her. What the hell did this mean? Had Adelita given her this task? But why? Camila was clumsy — and as far as Juanita knew, she wasn't even into guys. But why else would she be here? Or... 

The thought hit her like a freight train. Was she really that crazy? Was she a stalker, was she here to prevent Juanita from hooking up with this man? There had always been something unsettling about her. She doubted Adelita would share this idea with the woman, but for all she knew she might be very skilled at eavesdropping. 

What now? She couldn't continue this plan, there were too many risks. She didn't trust Camila, not for a bit. What was she telling Nestor? That he would be visited by an old friend, who happened to be a rebel? How did she even accomplish this meeting? Juanita couldn't wrap her head around it, she had never taken Camila for a person who liked to take the initiative. She was more a follower, someone who liked to be told what to do. 

Muttering Spanish curses, she slipped off the bar stool and headed to the exit. Right before she reached the door, she heard a familiar voice behind her. 

"Juanita..."

She froze, her foot frozen in the air. It took a few seconds before she could lower it to the ground to turn around. 

And there he was standing, with his perfect braided hair and dark, sensual eyes. 

"Is it really you?"

"Nestor," she managed to say. Now that her plan was fallen to pieces, her head was such a mess that she failed to utter anything else. "Long time no see."