TWENTY-THIRD CHAPTER

At least he remembers my name.

That was a start.

A start to a plan she could no longer carry out.

Juanita hadn't bothered to prepare for a conversation, completely relying on her spontaneity. But seeing him with another rebel – perhaps the only rebel she didn't really trust – that was a scenario she'd never taken into consideration.

"How long has it been? At least nine years, right?" Nestor studied her from top to toe. "I thought you were, well, dead."

"I look pretty good for a zombie, huh?" she winked.

He chuckled. His brown eyes met hers and held her glance. For a moment she thought he was going to say something, then he looked over his shoulder to the table he had been sitting at. Camila was staring at them. Her eyes were wide as if she was seeing a ghost. Did she feel caught? Or wasn't Juanita the reason she was here?

"Your girlfriend?" she asked.

The sooner the facts were clear, the better.

"No," he muttered. "My uh, sister."

His sister?! Her eyes almost popped out of her head. All this time she had been hanging out with Nestor's sister? Did Adelita know? What if she was a spy? For the cartel? She swallowed. If she was related to a smart and decisive person like Nestor who made it to the head of security of one of the most dangerous drug cartels, what did it say about his sister?

"You know her?"

Juanita didn't answer. She just stared at her friend, trying to read her.

The girl stared back at her, a coldness in her eyes she had never seen before. Suddenly she didn't feel safe anymore.

"I – I gotta go,' she muttered. The way her friend looked at her, made her insides freeze.

She turned around. Before she could walk away, Nestor grabbed her arm and pressed something against her side. "Don't make me shoot you," he whispered. "I really don't want to, cariño."

Juanita swallowed, the gun pressed against her ribs.

"Fine," she muttered. "What do you want?"

"I don't know yet." He shoved her towards the door. "But whatever it is – it will require a little more privacy."

. . .

Coco had a hard time keeping his mind on his work. He knew she was smart and she certainly had everything she needed to seduce a man, but there was still a pit in his stomach. It was not only a dangerous plan which could lead to her death, it also felt like she was whoring herself to get things done. He was raised by a prostitute and he hated it, and although she wasn't doing it for money it still called up unwanted memories. And there was another reason. A reason he was still trying to ignore.

Coco went outside to have smoke. He sat down next to Angel, who was looking distracted as well.

"You worryin' about her?"

Angel glanced at him and sighed. "Try not to. But yeah, she's playin' with fire."

Coco stared into the distance. "You like her more with him than with me?" he wondered. The question had slipped his lips before he knew it and he was just as bewildered as Angel himself. 

His friend studied his face. "Of course not." He held his glance. "Why? You mean... you're serious about her?"

Coco shrugged. "I dunno man. But thinking how that pendejo is touchin' her... makes me wanna strangle him."

Angel ran a hand across his face. "Me too," he muttered. He heaved a deep sigh. "That plan of hers... It's fucked up man. How long is she gonna last? I'm terrified that she's never gonna step out in one piece. I shouldn't have let her go."

"She didn't give you much of a choice, carnal." With a slight smirk, he shook his head as he thought back to her stubbornness. "Nah — she needs to figure out herself how stupid this plan is."

"But when she does, it might be too late," Angel sighed. He gave his friend a pensive look. "I don't like the idea. Of you and her. Especially because she's still a 15 year old in my head. But if you can keep her away from that prick? You got my blessing man."

Coco hesitated. He wasn't sure he wanted to see if it could lead to something serious. But if that was the best way to keep her safe? Well — then he should give it a shot. 

For there was one thing he was certain of — everything was better than seeing her end up in bed with Oceteva.