~*Chapter Eighteen*~

- - Percy's POV - -

I barely felt Annabeth's muscular arms carrying me toward my bed in the Argo II. She placed me gently on the soft, white covers. I sighed in relief and leaned into the most comfortable surface I had felt for a long, eight months. The bed squeaked as Annabeth sat down next to me. My eyes flickered open as she stroked my grubby, unshaven face. She kissed my lips gently and I responded as much as I could.

Annabeth ran her hand through my unruly, disgustingly dirty hair but she didn't care. I groaned in satisfaction as Annabeth deepened the kiss. Finally, we broke apart. I looked into my Wise Girl's eyes.

"I missed you," I whispered softly, trying to fight the feeling of exhaustion. But it was pointless. I could already see the darkness creeping toward me.

"Sleep well," Annabeth told me and my last sight was of her turning away and trying to stifle the sounds of her tears. I fell asleep to her tears.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-

When I woke up again, the first thing I saw was the beautiful New York skyline through the window. I could feel the slight dip of the floor, the Argo II was descending. I vaguely felt my shredded tail hanging off the foot of my bed and the rest of my horrendous injuries. I however, was completely used to the feeling of pain, though I really did miss being whole and healthy. Then the Argo II landed. I heard the sound of people traveling up to the deck. Someone opened my door. It was my Dad.

"Hi, Dad." I croaked. He smiled warmly at me though I could see anger in his eyes at the sight of my injuries.

"Percy, how are you?" He knelt next to me and kissed my forehead.

"Fine. Absolutely fin-" Before I could finish my sarcastic answer, I yelped in pain and clutched at my head, the pain rippling through my skin. In an instant, the blood in my veins had started to boil painfully. I shrieked as the agonizing feeling intensified.

"Percy! PERCY!!" Poseidon yelled frantically. He hefted me up into his arms and rushed out of the room and down toward Olympus. Finally losing patience, Poseidon yelled over his shoulder at my stunned friends, "Olympus!" Poseidon then flashed out, with me in his arms.

He landed in Olympus and yelled for Apollo. Apollo flashed in, blinding me. I didn't even notice I was still screaming. When Apollo caught sight of me and my tail, he blanked a little but still sprang into action. Snapping his fingers, a 7 foot long hospital bed appeared. (For his tail) Both Poseidon and Apollo placed me gently on the bed. Hours seemed to pass as the pain developed, becoming indescribably excruciating by the second. My undamaged fingers scrabbled desperately at the blanket, trying to find some way to make the PAIN STOP. I let out another unearthly scream which echoed in the empty Throne Room of Olympus before falling unconscious, the pain too much for me to bear.

- - Third Person POV - -

Percy's friends ran in and headed straight for them. Before they could reach his side however, Poseidon stopped them.

"No. Only Annabeth. He needs the space." He said firmly. Percy's friends nodded and stepped back. Annabeth ran forward and took his hand gently.

"What's happened to him?!" She cried, looking at Apollo.

"I'm not exactly sure." He replied, gripping his hair. "He should have already died from this many injuries and I'm not sure how he's still alive."

Percy let out another loud, terrorizing screech of pain in his fitful sleep. Everyone present winced as the sound continued.

Hazel suddenly exclaimed, "Remember what Kronos said, 'He will not survive the next day.' It's been almost 24 hours!" They all stared at her.

"That's right... I remember!" Piper said. "But how can we save him?!"

"Can't you do anymore?!" Annabeth turned back to Poseidon and Apollo.

"I'm doing the best I can. We can't give him any more Nectar or Ambrosia, I'm afraid he might burn up." Apollo hung his head. "I-I'm sorry, Annabeth. I'm not sure if I can do anything else. It's in the hands of the Fates now."

"NO!" Annabeth screamed. "He-he can't die! After all he's been through to save us, he doesn't deserve this!" Annabeth hysterical cries echoed in the eerily empty room. One by one, the rest of the gods flashed in. Even Zeus and Hades, Poseidon's brothers were there. They all watched, silent as the greatest hero of the age, died a slow and agonizing death.

Before Percy could draw his final breath, his eyes snapped open. He took in his surroundings and found the eyes of each and every deity, demigod, and mortal there.

"Life is too short, for so much sorrow. Do not grieve my death, for I await you in Elysium, my friends." He turned his gaze on Annabeth who looked sorrowfully back at him. He lifted a shaking hand and grasped Annabeth's hand, squeezing tightly. "Annabeth..." he started. "I love-" A loud, racking cough shook his body. When he was finished, he turned back to her but his lips were now splattered with blood. "I love you... so so much..." Suddenly, Percy started to glow. There was a flash of light, and the mark of Athena appeared over his head. When everyone recovered from the blinding light, they found that Percy's beautiful tail had transformed back into human legs. The spell had been broken. Percy smiled faintly and released his grip on Annabeth. Finally, his eyelids fluttered closed, shielding his beautiful sea green eyes from view. The heart monitor made a steady sound of beeeeep.

Annabeth broke into hysterical sobs and kissed Percy's forehead, and ran her hands through his hair. "NO!" she screamed. "Percy... Percy... NO!" she pulled his limp body close into a hug. She was shaking so violently, that her mother Athena came over to her and tried to comfort her.

The great Percy Jackson... was dead.

Or so they thought.