Chapter 3: don't agree

Lauren's POV

  I tore the piece of paper into tiny pieces and left them on the ground. I got up and ran. She's gonna kill me!

  I know I probably didn't have to make her hit her head. Oh my God, I made her hit her head. I stopped in my tracks. I hurt her twice already. Honestly, she deserved it but maybe it wasn't the right way to deal with things. This isn't who I am. Is it?

  Instead of continuing on to my way to the library, I sighed and headed for the nurse office. I knocked and entered. "Miss," the nurse acknowledged me. I gestured wildly at the direction the dorm probably was.

  "Lead the way," she said. I rushed to my dorm, the nurse a few steps behind me. I held open the dorm door and entered after her. I carefully shut it and leaned against it, keeping my distance.

  Dani still had not moved from the position I left her. Her eyes were pressed shut and her shoulders were tensed up. Her hand was rubbing the back of her head and occasional curses could be heard.

  "Is there blood?" The nurse asked. Dani slowly shook her head, wincing from the pain. My heart clenched seeing her like this.

  The nurse helped her sit up. She opened her eyes and looked around, finally stopping to glare at me. "You'll need to ice that," the nurse said. "You," she pointed at me. "Watch her," she ordered, getting up. Uh oh.

  The nurse left and Dani growled at me. She's actually becoming a bitch at this point. "Adams. You. Motherfucker," she spat. No, I didn't fuck her mother.

  "You're life is gonna be fucking hell. Hope you burn," she said. I took a random piece of paper and quickly wrote down something. I showed it to her and she squinted to read the words.

  "Ah, the stupid acting shit," Dani muttered. Dani pondered for a while and finally came up with something. "I can be nice to you. In private," she said. "I'll be less of a bitch or whatever so we can pass this stupid acting thing," She continued. "Still don't like you for, you know," she gestured at her head.

  "In exchange... You help me become more popular and stuff," she finished. Yeah, she definitely got the longer end of the stick. "Also, no more tackling," she added. I shrugged.

  It would be nice to have 1 person be not mean. Even just in private. And I do need her to not be a bitch so we could actually do that scene without ripping each other's throats out.

  "You in?" She asked. I nodded. "Cool," she said. We sat in silence. God, when will that nurse be back?

  The door opened and the nurse came back in. "Ok dears, I just got another call. Someone impaled themselves with a fork," she said casually. "Make sure she rests," she said. She handed me a bag of ice and rushed away.

  "So," Dani coughed. "Kids impale themselves often?" She asked. I gestured to the tree outside the window. "No way," she said. I shrugged. Some kids are either too daring or just dumb.

  "Give me the ice. I can do this myself. Go... I don't know. Read a book or something?" She said awkwardly. This was her attempt for being nice?

  I gave her the bag of ice and she put it on her head. I pointed to her bed. "I'm not going to sleep with you," she joked. I rolled my eyes.

  "See a brain back there?" She laughed. Definitely not keeping her end of the deal. I extended my hand out to her. She hesitated before she grabbed it. I pulled her to her feet.

  I nudged her to my bed. "Still not going to sleep with you," she laughed. I shoved her harder and she grumbled before sitting down on my bed.

  I lifted my hand to touch the bruise on her head but she flinched away. I let my hand drop to my side. I opened my mouth but quickly shut it before I blurt out something not very nice.