Chapter 26: Prom?

-Henry-

Before band class I walk up to Kiki, standing in front of her locker mumbling to her flute.

"This stupid piece of- Henry! You scared me!" She says and looks up, smiling awkwardly. She puts her flute back in its case and takes out her music folder.

"Hey Kiki, can I ask you a question?" I say awkwardly.

"It depends." She says and leans against the lockers and smirks.

"Um, ok then. It's about Rylee." I say.

"Then yes, of course you can get married." She says and laughs.

"Um what?"

"Never mind. What was your question?" She asks and looks at me seriously. I straighten my posture and look her in the eye.

"Is Rylee going to prom?" I ask.

"Um, I think s- OH MY GOSH WAIT." Kiki says and claps her hands, smiling enthusiastically. "Are you thinking of asking her?"

"Um, maybe." I say and blush a little.

"Henry Davis, my this is unexpected. Also, long overdue." Kiki says smiling.

"What?" I ask her confused.

"Well, I never thought you would go to prom with a date, or at least I always thought you would go with some blond ditz, but that was freshman thoughts. Now here you are, thinking of asking my best friend Rylee. But she can be a ditz too." She says and laughs. "Also, Lily and I had a bet for how long it would take you to ask her out. Does this count?"

"Wait hold on, you had a bet? Also, why a blond? Actually, never mind. If I asked her to prom, do you think she would- "

"Yes! She would totally say yes." Kiki says and smiles. "I can help."

"Really? That would be great." I say and smile.

"Why did you think she would say no?" Kiki asks.

"I don't know." I say and shrug. I walk into the band room, humming the tune to 'You're Welcome' from Moana, my sister's choice for last night's movie night. Sometimes my Dad has dinners for work that my Mom has to go to, so my sister and I order pizza and watch a movie. Usually we watch a princess movie, but whenever she lets me choose, I usually pick a marvel movie which she finds terribly boring. But I think the same thing of princess movies.

I take out my music from the percussion shelves and pull out our hardest piece so far, 'Variations On America' (Arr. Charles Ives). I look over my part as I walk to the snare when I run into someone. I quickly drop my music and catch the person who's falling.

"Watch where you're... going." Rylee says, smiling a little. I blush.

"Look familiar, Rye?" I ask, thinking about another time when I caught her just like this.

"Ugh, Henry." She says and laughs. I help her stand up; my hand lingers around her waist. She looks up at me for a second, neither of us move a muscle.

"Alright everyone, we are starting at the beginning. Saxophones, we're going over the first five measures so let's hope you practiced this time." Mr. G says while stepping onto his podium. Some groan, other giggle.

"I should um, go to the timpani." Rylee says and tucks a strand of her curly hair behind her ear. I like her natural hair, it's very curly.

"Yeah, sorry again for running into you." I say and start to blush a little more.

"You're good." She says and smiles softly. She walks over to the timpani. I place my music on the stand and notice Kiki looking at me. She smirks, as if to say I told you so. Man, I am one clumsy idiot.