Chapter 38: The Baseball Game

-Rylee-

I meet up with Kira at the Westmoore Baseball field. She's wearing a Westmoore cheer shirt and sunglasses. I'm wearing a shirt from Drumline that is red and gold, our school colors.

"Hey, how have you been?" Kira asks, smiling as I walk up to her.

"I've been pretty good now that AP exams are over. How have you been?" I ask.

"I've been pretty ok, but better now that exams are over." She says and smiles weakly.

"Those AP exams are hard, let me tell you." I say and chuckle. Kira chuckles as we start to walk over to the stands. I look over to the field and see Henry and his tall, lean figure talking to a player from the Westmoore team at home plate that I recognize.

"Is that Aaron?" I ask.

"Yeah, that's him." She says, smiling. We sit down near the Westmoore side when I see Henry smiling at me. I smile and wave back, then nudge Kira. She looks over at the boys and smiles at Aaron. He quickly smiles back, then they shake hands.

"Are you sure you two are just friends?" I ask. Kira looks at her hands for a second then looks over at me.

"I've come so close to telling him how I feel so many times. But, I never can." She says.

"I know how you feel. I actually hid in my band director's office for lunch to hide from Henry because I was too scared to talk to him." I say and laugh.

"Really? That's actually kind of funny." Kira says.

"Rylee? You came!" I hear a woman say. I look over and see Henry's mom. She's a tall beautiful woman with striking blond hair, like Henry's.

"Yes, of course! I've wanted to see Henry play for a while now." I say and smile. She sits next to us with another woman that I don't recognize. She is shorter and has straight black hair and tan skin.

"This is Alice, Aaron's mom. Did you ever have any classes with Aaron?" Mrs. Davis asks.

"I did not, but Kira actually goes to school with Aaron and has some classes with him." I say and gesture to Kira. She smiles and blushes a little.

"You're Kira? Aaron has told me about you. I'm Alice." She says and smiles.

"It's nice to meet you. Aaron has told me about you too." Kira says and smiles.

"So far the mom likes you, that's a good sign." I whisper to Kira.

"He talks about me to her." Kira whispers back.

"So, did Aaron play on Varsity last year?" I ask the moms.

"Yes, they were the only Sophomores on Varsity last year." Ms. Alice says proudly.

"Well, Aaron has quite the arm for a center fielder. He can throw that ball fast and accurate." Mrs. Davis says.

"Henry is one of the fastest pitchers I've met. Has he looked into playing at the college level?" Ms. Alice asks.

"Yes, he has. We've talked to a couple of recruiters so we will see where that goes." Mrs. Davis says.

"Do you want to go get a snack?" Kira asks me. I nod my head and we walk over to the small concession stand. "Man, if you want to get the details on players you should sit by the moms."

"Oh yeah, Moms are always in the know." I say and laugh.

"Do you think Henry will play at the college level?" Kira asks, looking over at him warming up. He pitches the ball perfectly to the catcher.