Chapter 32: He Defends me

-Emme-

"And he hasn't asked you out yet?" I ask Kira over the phone after she tells me about prom, and how Aaron stayed at her house for the night.

"What? No." Kira says. "Any friend would do that. I mean, you did back in the beginning of the year."

"Ok, you have a point. But Aaron is not the type to mess around." I say.

"I thought he was a player back at Lakewood."

"Not really, He had a lot of friends that were girls, and some definitely liked him. But I don't really know if he messed around. But I'm not 100% sure because I never talked to him then." I say.

"Do you talk to him now?" Kira asks, curious.

"Well, yes." I say.

"Does he talk about me?" She asks.

"Yes, frequently." I say. Kira is silent for a second.

"I just, I like him a lot, but I don't have time for a boyfriend you know? But I don't want just any boyfriend, I want him." Kira finally says.

"Wow." I say. Kira sighs. "He understands that, actually."

"What?"

"He talked about how busy you two are, and how it just wouldn't work right now." I say. Kira is silent again.

"Really?" She finally asks.

"Yeah, he said something along those lines." I tell her.

"Wow." She whispers. "How is the summer program looking?"

"I got in, actually. And the scholarship application looks like it will help." I say.

"That's awesome! I'm so happy that you can go." She says.

"Yeah, me too." I say and check the time. It's almost time for me to leave for the bus stop. "Ok, well I have to go."

"Alright, catch up with you soon!" Kira says.

"Bye!" I say and hang up. I quickly run downstairs, pick up my backpack, grab an orange juice out of the fridge and head out the door. When the bus pulls up, I quickly walk to my seat in the back, not looking at the Lax crew, which is still where Mark sits. Not that I would ever expect him to sit anywhere else. I sit down and think about what Kira said, and Aaron said pretty much the same thing when I talked to him about it last.

"What are you smiling for?" Rylee asks as she sits down.

"Oh, I called Kira this morning." I say, not realizing that I was smiling.

"Nice, what did you talk about?" Rylee asks. I look around and make sure the lax crew isn't listening, and lean close to Rylee.

"She told me that she likes... you know who." I whisper.

"Aw really?" Rylee whispers. "Does he like her?"

"Yeah, he told me that he does." I whisper. Rylee smiles. "But they both said they don't want a relationship right now because they're busy. And, Aaron said he doesn't want to stress her out more than she already is."

"They're perfect for each other. That just proves it right there." Rylee says.

"I know! I told him to wait until he thinks she's ready. And I told her to tell him when she's ready."

"That's good advice right there. Why are they so busy?"

"Well he has baseball and their both in AP Bio and I think she's taking a couple other AP's, so you know how busy April and May are for those classes."