Chapter 9: Good and Bad Days

-Emme-

I sit in my usual seat on Monday in homeroom, listening to music. Someone taps me on the shoulder after the bell rings. I look up and it's Mark. I roll my eyes.

"What do you want." I say, taking out an airpod.

"I'm sorry about what I said during the party." He says. I scoff.

"Do you even know what you're sorry for?"

"Obviously I offended you." He says, a little confused.

"Oh obviously." I say and turn back to my book.

"Are you going to tell me?" He asks.

"Tell you what?"

"How I offended you?"

"Let's just say we have different versions of fun. But it doesn't matter. I made a new friend and had a great time after that, so I guess I'm happy I came in the end but for future reference, I am never going to a party again." I say, trying to not bring up Kira or anything else really.

"Oh, ok. Glad you had an ok time, I guess." He says and pulls out his homework.

I roll my eyes and go back to my book. Should I tell him? No! Maybe one day? 

This is why I don't go to parties. They never end well.

-Rylee-

Football is almost over. It is almost officially Drumline season.

I walk into band early and fiddle around with the snare, my favorite drum. Kiki and I march with the snare in Marching Band, but she is doing swim in the winter, so I'll be alone with the snare during Drumline.

"You love the snare, don't you?" Mr G asks, walking into the band room.

"Yeah, I do I guess. It's my favorite drum." I say.

"Has it been a problem sharing it with Henry?"

"Oh, no it hasn't. We worked out what songs we are playing it for. Although, it looks like I'm the only person playing snare for drum line."

"Well, maybe you could do some recruiting." He says with a smile... The smile that means he has a plan. Uh oh.

"I've asked some freshman to join, but they are all doing front ensemble." I say.

"Have you asked Henry? I know you two hardly know each other but Maybe he will join." He says.

"Um... I'll ask." I say. The lunch bell rings and students come into the room. I move my backpack out of the way and turn to get my stick of the stand... "Where'd my stick go?" I ask, mostly to myself.

"Right behind you." Someone says. I turn around quickly and run into someone and fall over. The person catches me before I hit the floor. "Whoa, are you falling for me Rye?" Henry says, smirking.

"Ugh, Henry." I say and stand up. I try to hide my blushing. This boy is fine looking, and smooth. Focus!! Now is no time for checking him out!

"Here are your sticks, madame." He says and holds out my drumsticks and I take them quickly. He smirks, I roll my eyes.

At the end of class I walk over to my backpack, Henry standing next to it.

"What is Drumline?" He asks, looking at a little poster on the wall.

"Oh, it's like marching band except with only percussion and it's inside. You should do it." I say. Wow, way to sell it to him.

"What would I play?" He asks, curiously.

"Well, technically whatever you wanted to play. But so far, I'm the only snare... so preferably snare so that I have a, um- "

"Partner?"

"Yeah, a partner."

"I bet I would be the best snare."

"Not possible, I am."

"Are not.

"Am too."

"Well, I will prove you wrong." He says and smirks.

"So, you'll do it?" I ask, a little hopeful.

"I will ask my parents. It sounds like a lot of fun actually." He says and takes a packet off the table behind me. He's standing very close to me. I can feel my heartbeat speed up, looking into his grey eyes... blond curly hair... I turn around and grab a packet closely and grab my bag.

"It would be great to have you." I say as the bell rings and start to walk out.

"Yeah, I think that my parent will say yes." He says and follows me. We walk into history together, but I quickly go to my seat before Mason comes in.

Drum line will be very interesting this year. I need to get my emotions in check first...