XVII

24 June 2019. I'm on my way to buy a film for my friends' gig later in Saguijo. I cannot explain how proud I am on them. They started being a band earlier this year and their songs are, let's just say it's music to my ears.

I'm actually thankful that they're going to play here in Makati, because our office is only a few blocks away from the bar. That's right folks; I said office because I am now officially a corporate slave after working as an editor on that studio we hired.

The thing that I never want to be when I was in college is the thing that I'm doing now, because guess what? I'm too weak and let money rule my life. I'm at that point of my life where things that satisfy me require a huge amount of money.

9:21 pm. Migo:

Hey we're here. Where are you?

I reply that I'm walking towards the bar and see them instantly after a few blocks. They run towards me and then I hug Migo, fist bump with JA, and I have absolutely no idea with how to say hi to Fort; we both aim for a fist bump but ended with an awkward hug.

I laugh hysterically, "I'm sorry that was awkward."

Fort chuckles, "Yeah I was awkward too."

Migo utters, "Jian already went inside. Let's go."

I rapidly order a bottle of beer after entering the bar and then we sit at the back near the speakers. We obviously sat at the worst table because we just notice that we can't converse properly in here with a band playing and the speakers are right beside us.

We all skip the small talk and just enjoy listening to the bands as we wait for their turn. Jian suddenly goes outside and then Fort shouts, "He says he's going to smoke for a while. You guys want to go outside too?"

I utter loudly, "I'll go with you guys. I need some smoke." Yes. I'm already smoking. It started after drinking with my workmates for three consecutive days. I needed something to trick my mind into being sober and viola I smoke whenever I drink. It's like a duo for me. Take puto and dinuguan for example-a Filipino dish that you should definitely try-. They're both okay when you eat them individually, but there's something infinitely satisfying when you put them together.

We all step outside, holding our own beers. I ask Jian if he has a match because I don't purchase lighters.

"Why?" Jian asks

I utter, "Because it's plastic and it can't be refilled unlike the metal lighter. I don't think the matches contribute anything on pollution either that's why I prefer it."

Jian chuckles, "Well you are a one lucky person because I have a metal lighter."

I chuckle, "That is nice. Thank you very much."

I ask them if they're still not going to play, because if not I'd like to take some pictures of them while waiting.

After taking their photos, Jian goes into his car and asks us who wants to go with him because he's going to find a better parking.

JA and I run towards him while laughing because we still have our beer on our hands. We're having a hard time looking for a good parking place here in Makati at this hour.

We're now walking back to the bar, because we finally found a safe place to park Jian's car and it's only two blocks away. As we get near the bar, we notice that there are no lights. Migo walks to us and says, "The electricity went down when you guys were away, and they said they still don't know when it's coming back."