XIX

Okay. This is the part where I totally forgot that I invited two people out at the same time. Actually, I didn't forgot, but I thought only one would reply. What are the odds that both of them are free tonight right? Now I finally became the person who asks two people out to have some safety net. I cannot believe myself.

      Now what do I do? I have to deal with this. It's pretty easy. Jolo hasn't even confirmed yet, and Joshua already did.

To: Jolo

So is that a yes or a no? hahaha

      What am I doing? I thought it's already clear enough that I'll go with Joshua? Why am I even sending this text? This is such a pathetic move, but it's okay, no one else has to know.

      I'm already at my stop so I lock my phone and walk at the streets of Cubao, on my way to the train station. Okay my mind is already settled. If by the time I got to the station and Jolo still hasn't replied, I'm going to cancel it to him since he still hasn't confirmed.

      I'll text Joshua afterwards that I'll be on my way to Makati and we could just drink there so he wouldn't have to grab his way here. That stuff is expensive.

      I'm four blocks away from the station and the sky decides to pour some pretty heavy rain and I'm in that drained zone wherein I don't even bother to look for an umbrella even if I have one in my bag. 

      I stand firmly outside of a donut store, together with these people who don't actually have an umbrella and probably want to go home already.

      I stare at the road and all the noise of the streets are being overpowered by the sound of the thunder and the loud pouring of rain; suddenly it's the only thing that I'm hearing.

      Lost in the train of my thoughts, a vertically challenged woman who happens to be attractive, wearing an orange sleeveless top approaches and offers me to join in her umbrella. She asks where I'm headed, so I answer her politely that I'm going to the train station and thanked her kindness after saying, "Sure, why not?"

      She should've asked a person who doesn't really have an umbrella—yeah, I know I don't look like I have one—, but I am utterly flattered and guarded with myself at the same time that she chose to ask me because there are four possible reasons why. Thus the list:

A.   She's genuinely kind.

B.   She wants to hit on me.

C.  She's with a few other people who will rob me thinking that I'm vulnerable and clueless.

D.  A and B

We're rapidly walking, and now only two blocks away from the station, she suddenly says, "I think this day can't get any worse. I got robbed earlier, and that wasn't even the worst part of it. The only person I could think of calling was my ex."

I look at her chuckling, "That was the worst part?" I continue with my confusing eyes, "Huh, yeah it is."

She shakes her head and exclaims, "Right? That is the most pathetic thing that ever happened to me lately."

I smirk as I tell her that I apologize for all the horrible people out there and I hope they get what they deserve. She laughs and said thank you to me for trying to ease her frustration, and as our conversation is getting more interesting, we're already at the station.

"So," I utter, "This is me; I really appreciate you giving me an umbrelift. Always take care of yourself."

She laughs saying, "My pleasure, you too stranger."